Who else stopped reading for leisure at a certain age?

Discussion in 'Books' started by zoe1121, Jul 27, 2018.

1. zoe1121

zoe1121 New Member

Not everyone liked reading books as a kid, but everyone had plenty of friends in primary school/middle school who could just disappear into books for hours/were always reading a novel under their desk in class. I was like that and so were plenty of my friends, but I've noticed that we all stopped reading for leisure abruptly at a certain age. We still appreciate a good book as a gift and will spend lots of time loitering in bookstores and book fairs, but we never buy anything. Even if we do, it has to be either a classic or something on a Very Important Social Issue or a book that is considered exhaustive/authoritative in its field. It's as if everything we read has to be 'worth it', or has to be part of a greater journey to becoming more cultured/urbane/in the know/expert without having to invest a huge amount of time on less 'absolutely essential' but still relevant and enjoyable books on certain topics. I used to read a lot of sci-fi and realistic fiction and poetry; my friends would read a lot of fantasy and mystery novels. I think I would still enjoy a lot of the books I used to read - in fact they're very similar in theme and tone to the TV shows I binge watch now (definitely for leisure). Yet I have never felt the urge to get back into those books (except once, but that's a story for a different post). Did this happen for everyone?

2. all-mad-here

all-mad-here New Member

This has absolutely not been true for me! Like you, I was a book fiend when I was younger - sneaking them into class, getting caught under the covers at night by my parents with a book and a flashlight, checking out stacks at a time from the library. I loved all sorts of books, and read as many as I could get my hands on.

Now, it is true that I read less now - but it isn't because of a lack of desire. It's just that I have less free time now that I'm an adult with children of my own. My days are often so busy with child care, housework, errands, and running my own small business that I just don't have time to sit down and really escape into a book like I used to. And sometimes when I do find a few extra minutes, I catch myself doing mindless activities like watching Netflix or playing on my phone instead of picking up a book. But I do make a concentrated effort to read a little every day. Confession time: I actually keep a book on my bathroom counter at all times, because that's where I'm most likely to have a few minutes of peace and quiet (don't judge!) I also keep books beside the bed and in the living room, as I'm usually reading at least two at a time. And if I catch myself out of the house and waiting for some reason, then there are digital books on my Kindle app.

Oh, and I absolutely can't leave a book store empty-handed. I pretty much believe that bookshelves are furniture and have them in nearly every room in my house. :)