Who is your favorite author of all times?

Discussion in 'Books' started by ~TheDarkKnight~, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Inatoy

Inatoy New Member

I have been reading at least 2 books a week since I was seven, but my all time favorite book has to be, "The Source", by: James A. Michener. The story starts out in a time before people even had a language. Michener makes a water source the central point of the story. The water source brings animals, and that in turn brings many people. As time goes by, groups of people stay and start to form small villages. This story brings you into the nineteenth and twentieth centuries where we can see how the Middle East could have started.

2. Joni

Joni New Member

I am a huge fan of young adult novels and absolutely love Sarah Dessen. I have read and bought every single one of her books but by far my favorite of hers is called The Truth About Forever. It's a book that I have read over and over again and keep coming back to. I have underlined and highlighted quotes from the book have a beat up and battered copy that no matter where I move to or what I do I will always hold onto.

3. MitzianneSon

MitzianneSon New Member

I choose Dan Brown! His books were all exciting and if you have a weak faith, then you will be shaken to the core. His books have this something, that even if you know something is not true, you will surely doubt yourself. His books are all based on facts and are more or less accurate. His storytelling abilities will surely make you jump up and down of your seat. Go on and give it a try!

4. caitlin dick

caitlin dick New Member

My favorite author is also Sarah Dessen. She has an amazing way of taking issues that everyone can relate to from their time as a teenager but twists it so that it still hits home long after those years are gone. Her characters are very complex and are usually strong young women who end up being great role models. Dessen is not afraid to write about difficult situations like drug use or rape and handles them in very sensitive ways. Having been a teenager who dealt with those issues, these books really helped me to deal with bad memories and resolve lingering issues without acting as a trigger in any way. There is always a great life lesson attached as well but it is not delivered in a condescending way. I think that there are a lot of women, in their teens or twenties, who could benefit from reading any one of Dessen's books. My two favorites are "The Truth About Forever" and "Along for the Ride."

5. donkeyllama

donkeyllama New Member

Well, books for me are kind of like music. I have about 73,000 favorites because I can never make up my mind.

However, as much as I love Stephen King ( I kind of have to -- I AM from Maine and I have met the guy a few times, not to mention my uncle was in the movie Thinner..), I'd have to say my favorite author of all time is probably Chuck Palahniuk. He's most known for writing Fight Club, but honestly that's probably my least favorite of his books. He's a nihilist and see's the world much like I do and I just adore his sarcastic, negative, condescending attitude towards pretty much everything. I highly recommend checking out Choke, Diary: A Novel, and Lullaby to start, by then you'll be hooked and naturally read the rest of his books anyhow. =]

6. beyonce

beyonce New Member

I absolutely love Haruki Murakami simply because of the way his books make me feel. The main theme of his novels is loneliness, at least that's what I think and he writes about it so well that by the end of a book by him you're left feeling pretty lonely as well. I'm making him sound like he only writes about sad things, but really they aren't sad but more melancholic.

7. pleirosei

pleirosei New Member

My favorite author of all time is C.S. Lewis, particularly his theological writings. I never read much of his fantasy books, but his theology is what prompted me to become interested in God before I became a Christian. His book, The Four Loves, and, The Screwtape Letters are some of the best books I have ever read. I can still recall many quotes from those books, or the gist of them, even though I have not read them for years.

His writings are great for anyone interested in knowing the mind and thoughts of a serious Christian man.

8. Salina

Salina New Member

I'm with you, I love Dean Koontz. His books have scared me, made me cry, and warmed my heart. From The Corner of His Eye did all three. I just love his Odd Thomas series. He is an awesome author. I love his creativity and the way he captures your attention and grabs your emotions. I always look forward to reading a book by Dean Koontz.

9. Rebeka Vajda

Rebeka Vajda New Member

Hard decision actually. I'd like to say J K Rowling. I just love everything she writes. But my first favourite book was written by Charlotte Bronte, so propably her, too.

10. Sheela Torreja

Sheela Torreja New Member

When I was 16 years old (I was 2nd year college student then), I finally decided to read the books in my mother's library. The first one I did was entitled, “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie, and was followed years later by, “Public Speaking” still by Dale Carnegie. When I finished the 1st book, all my professors became my good friends, including the most terror one who taught Natural Science. When I finished the 2nd book, I got a grade of 100% or 1 in Speech 4 (Public Speaking). I graduated from college with the highest honors. How could I ever not make Dale Carnegie my favorite writer?

11. CandraLovell

CandraLovell New Member

Тоugh quеstіоn.. Тhе fіrst аuthоr tо сrоss mу mіnd іs Тоlkіеn, but thоugh І lоvе аnd аdmіrе hіs wоrk, І'll gо wіth а dutсh wrіtеr thіs tіmе: Тоnkе Drаgt (аlthоugh іt's quіtе sоmе tіmе аgо І rеаd аnуthіng wrіttеn bу hеr).

Тоnkе Drаgt іs а dutсh wrіtеr оf сhіldrеn's lіtеrаturе. Ѕіnсе mу dаd lоvеs hеr stоrіеs аs wеll, hе usеd tо rеаd mе Dе brіеf vооr dе kоnіng (Іf уоu trаnslаtе thаt уоu wоuld gеt sоmеthіng lіkе "Тhе lеttеr fоr thе Κіng") whеn І wаs уоungеr. І rеаd thе sеquеl Gеhеіmеn vаn hеt Wіldе Wоud (sесrеts оf thе wіld fоrrеst) mуsеlf. Воth аrе sіtuаtеd іn а fісtіоnаl mеdіеvаl wоrld, fіllеd wіth аwеsоmе аdvеnturеs. Ѕіnсе thе mаіn сhаrасtеrs оf hеr stоrіеs аrе сhіldrеn аs wеll, І аlwауs fоund іt vеrу еаsу tо іdеntіfу уоursеlf wіth thеm. Іn 2008 thеу аdарtеd thе fіrst bооk іntо а fіlm. Му dаd іnsіstеd wе wоuld gо tо thе сіnеmа, but аftеr sееіng thе fіlm wе wеrе bоth vеrу dіsарроіntеd...

Аftеr wrіtіng thіs роst І thіnk І wіll dіg uр а сору оf Dе Вrіеf vооr dе Κоnіng аnd stаrt rеаdіng іt аgаіn

12. opticalelizabeth

opticalelizabeth New Member

My favorite author is Virginia Woolf. She was active in the early 1900's and was on of the most influential writers of the modernist period. Her novel The Waves absolutely floored me when I first read it. It is an absolutely beautiful book about six friends and their experiences growing up and growing apart. Her works are frequently written in stream-of-consciousness, allowing for a very private and often emotional journey through the characters' inner psyches and perspectives. Her essay A Room of One's Own is considered a pivotal feminist work and focuses on the woman's place in the literary world. Woolf has been a huge influence on my own writing and thinking. It is always a pleasure to sit down with one of her books, poems or essays and consider its message and beauty.

13. Bazinga!

Bazinga! New Member

Joseph Delaney = Most known for his "Last Apprentice" series. One of the genres that I enjoy most is horror and this series, I think, definitely belongs in that genre. A movie will be released on February 6, 2015, that is based on the first book in the series. The movie is called "The Seventh Son" and will star Jeff Bridges, Ben Barnes and Julianne Moore.

J. K. Rowling = I know she is most known for the Harry Potter series and I think it is one of those series that will live on in the hearts of millions of people. I've read every book and watched every movie. I've actually been considering having a movie marathon lately.

14. jaygee

jaygee New Member

My favorite living author is Terry Pratchett. He always makes me laugh, think, and marvel at how well he can put together a story. I have read every single book in his Discworld series at least twice, some books, even more times than that.

15. Warchariot

Warchariot New Member

David Gemmell, a fantasy writer, he started writing in the late 80's and after a stellar success wih his first novel, Legend, he continued to write until his premature death in 2006. The guy could paint a picture like Tolkein, but I felt much more attached to the characters and seems to have an underlying message to every action taking place, making you question your stance on many hi-brow issues. I would suggest anyone to take a look at it.

16. Juan Gregory Flores

Juan Gregory Flores New Member

My all time favorite author would be Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I was in love with the first book I read of him “Love In The Time Of Cholera”. The way that he set the tone of the book - his vivid description of the place and the characters got me hooked on the first few lines of the book. I have read the first chapter of his book online and instantly I went into a frenzy of looking for a hard copy of his book. And boy can he depict a picture with his words. I found myself thistly for more after reading Love at the Time of Cholera. So I read his book “One Hundred Years of Solitude” and it did not disappoint me at all. There were just some characters where I get mixed up with others since they all have almost the same names that ran through a family. He is a great treasure of the 20th century and his works reflect a rich culture. I just love his works.

Linda Bolden likes this.
  17. Linda Bolden

Linda Bolden New Member

Hi ya,
    The Dr. Wayne W. Dyer is second to me. He was my first love of Self-Help books, having written well over 30ish books. The Father of Motivation!!!
    Be well!!!

18. Zeroneverends

Zeroneverends New Member

I would have to say that I can not name one particular author over another. I love Camus and all of his work. The Plague illustrates a novel approach to the condition of modern humankind. Franz Kafka's The Trail demonstrates the futility we may sometimes feel, yet the main character moves forward. The work of Stephen King lit the passion to read when I was younger. Hunter S Thompson fueled a love for the dirty game of politics.

19. PartyTimeMentat

PartyTimeMentat New Member

That's a tough question.

I don't have an "all time favorite" author. I enjoy different authors for different reasons and it feels wrong to say one is better than another.

Jim Butcher: I am a huge fan of "The Dresden Files" I find his novels contain the right blend of serious story, humor, and action. I'm a fan of his other series "Codex Alera" and I'm looking forward to the upcoming steampunk series "Cinder Spires"

Terry Pratchett: I love the "Discworld" series of novels. The Watch subseries of books being a particular favorite. Stand alone books such as "Small Gods" and "Monstrous Regiment" are great. Pratchett's books are more satire than Butcher's. Being British "Discword" includes a heap of dry British humor.

Glen Cook: I enjoy love his "Black Company" series of books. No one is altogether virtuous or a full villain. Cook's picture of war is not glorious.

20. edustadar001

edustadar001 New Member

My favorite author is and will always be Franz Kafka. Not because I woke up one day and said "Hey I love to read books of Franz Kafka". No, the reason why I sympathize this author is, that we read a few books of him during the school like "The Metamorphosis" and others. I was really impressed of him since I read the first book named "The Trial".

21. faeiry

faeiry New Member

Haruki Murakami is totally my favorite writer ever since I discovered him. Everytime I read something of his I feel like I am really there, because of his detailed style. Some might find this annoying - the fact that he describes everything in such minor details - but I find it quite awesome. That's what makes him unique. And we share this love of jazz music, which is also a plus. I recommend "Norwegian wood" if you want to start with something easier of his. Now I am currently readin 1q84, which is a 925 pages book and it's a bit harder to read, but still amazing!

22. ZiggaBoo

ZiggaBoo New Member

My favorite writer is Charles Bukowski. He has written so many books that I have not read them all, but I have read a few of his novels, a couple books of short stories and many poems. His writing seems so honest and real. It's not always pretty, but its real. It seems like he mostly writes about his own life, thoughts and experiences. He struggled when he was trying to get started in the business, according to him he used to live off of one candy bar a day. But he kept at it and made a career out of it.

23. Gemini

Gemini New Member

So many authors, so little time.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Louis Stevenson, Jane Austen, LM Montgomery, and Joseph Conrad have written some of my favorite literature. At the same time, I've also really enjoyed some of Stephen King's work. Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame was an excellent work to my reading, but although that's one of my all-time favorites, I don't know that I'd elevate him to the "favorite author" list as cheeky as that sounds.

I also have a soft spot for Frank Peretti, as out of left field as this may be. Although I find that his books suffer from genre-related flaws, the premises of stories like The Visitation and The Oath were something special.

Before I forget, Wilkie Collins is also a top-notch author to me. The Woman in White was great.

Margaret Atwood and Ursula Le Guin would be two more modern writers with incredible writing skills to me.

24. LarzGraveusWrath

LarzGraveusWrath New Member

I'm afraid I'm as undecided as the majority of people here who love reading books- it's just so hard to really pick just one when each has a unique flavor they bring to their genres.

If I have to choose one for fantasy-typed themes, it would have to be Neil Gaiman.

He practically takes the cake for me as he's subtle and can easily lead a reader on without taking away too much of the artistic value away from his work. Most writers just tell the story in such a third person view that it lacks the actually view into the emotions of the characters and often time even removing the whole visual imagery of events from the story by stating something as simple as "He punched the wall and blood dripped from his hand" instead of taking us into the moment and describing it like "He laid his fist hard against the wall, feeling the sting of the opened wound drip out blood while he ignored the pain; lost in his anguish". (We need such imagery...we only know the characters by the words.)

When it comes to horror, I'm a H.P Lovecraft fan and ironically, Stephen King. Love both of them.

I just recently got into Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein and Michael Crichton. I'm slowly exploring all genres because I feel no one can belong to just one.

I also love reading "Graphic Novels" (As they are called...though many disagree). Imagery and words amalgamated- they are sheer beauty.

These are my picks, alongside John Grisham (No one can tell a courtroom drama better than he.) :)

25. IcyBC

IcyBC New Member

My favorite author of all time is Jan Austen, who wrote Pride and Prejudice, which became the world classic romance. I love the old language that was used in the story and how females and males behave toward each other. There was so much respect and integrity between different class levels back in those days. She also wrote Sense and Sensibility, and Mansfield Park but when I need a little lift in the love department, I always return to read Pride and Prejudice.

26. SactoFrog

SactoFrog New Member

Hmmm, only one?
    Well, despite heavily enjoying books like I, Robot and Catch 22, I'm going to have to settle on James Dashner the author of the Maze Runner trilogy. in all the books of his that I've read, he somehow manages to both portray his characters really well and keep the action interesting and suspenseful before pulling the rug out from under you in some of the greatest plot twists I've seen. The best part for me, is on the re-reads, when you realize all the subtle foreshadowing he's inserted throughout the book. Definitely recommended.

27. skerdilajd

skerdilajd New Member

My favorite author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez. :One hundred years of solitude" is the best book of all time.

28. nicolas_key

nicolas_key New Member

My favorite author is James Patterson. His books are full of mystery and suspense and he is so knowledgeable in the subjects of his writing. His Alex Cross series never ceases to amaze me and keep me on the edge of my seat wanting to read more. Although some plots may seem a bit repetitive, Patterson spices up his books with a bit of romance topped with scandal.

29. Jake Shacklefurt

Jake Shacklefurt New Member

I have to say Kurt Vonnegut. His first book I read was Slaughterhouse Five, and I was blown away by his ability to depict the graphic realities of war while also exploring existential themes of time travel and the nature of our universe and how we as human perceive it. After reading Slaughterhouse Five I began to explore his other novels and short stories, reading almost all of them over the next few months. Overall, I really love his dry blunt style of writing and dark humor, as well as his overtly objective and sometimes cynical perspective on society.

30. brayoh

brayoh New Member

I have quite a number of favorite authors in mind. However, in most instances Dr. Myles Monroe happens to be my favorite. He managed to write several inspirational books for specific settings during his lifetime. His impact in many countries is still being felt up to date.