Who is your favorite author of all times?

Discussion in 'Books' started by ~TheDarkKnight~, Jun 11, 2014.

1. SkootNasty

SkootNasty New Member

Picking a favorite author can be a daunting endeavor. Is it the author of your favorite book? Is it your favorite writer? Maybe something completely different? Oddly enough, my favorite author did not write my favorite book, nor is he my favorite writer. My favorite author would have to be Vonnegut. "Cat's Cradle" comes close to being my favorite book, and "Breakfast of Champions" is one the most enjoyable books I've ever read. Vonnegut was, simply put, a genius. He may be one of the most clever people to ever live, and he was a master of satire. I feel it's safe to say that there will never be another author that can even touch the level of creativity that Vonnegut exhibited in every one of his novels and short stories. So it goes.

2. pinnacle2015

pinnacle2015 New Member

My favorite author of all times is Stephanie Meyer. She let my creative imagination take a different turn. Her Twilight series definitely got everyone's recognition including mine. When I completed reading her books, I understood that life isn't always so great. There are certainly plenty of ups and downs in life; however, if you are disciplined and pugnacious, it is possible to find joy and happiness ultimately.

3. jcrawford26

jcrawford26 New Member

In terms of authors that have inspired me to have the same love for reading I did as a child, it'd have to be John Green. I read his books not as a preteen, but as a college student. Even though his writing is more geared toward people younger than me, it's very easy to digest but it doesn't feel like you're reading dumbed-down nonsense. He deals with very real and mature issues. I particularly enjoyed Looking For Alaska.

In terms of authors I loved dearly as a child, it would have to be someone like Mary Pope Osborne and her Magic Tree House series. That was my go-to series in elementary school. So full of imagination and excitement. Of course, the books don't hold quite the same level of value to me anymore, but it's still nice to reminisce.

4. vivivivicky

vivivivicky New Member

I think I could track my age and life experiences based on who I would have said was my favorite author at any given time. First Charles Bukowski, then Douglas Coupland (who I still adore), and now I find myself gravitating more towards short stories and loving David Sedaris and the works of David Rakoff.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

For me it's Howard Phillips Lovecraft that does it, an American writer in case some of you don't know of him. H. P. Lovecraft's most famous work were his horror fiction stories, which I was absolutely hooked on when I first read some of them. Furthermore his works are what got me into reading the horror genre! On a side note his father was confined to a mental institution and he had some mental problems himself from what I've read, all of this probably led to him writing horror stories as he didn't really have a laid-back childhood either. He also, unfortunately, died at the age of 46.

The most well-known pieces of his work were his "Eldritch Tales" which even inspired a sub-genre in the horror category of books. They tell tales of forbidden knowledge and things that are hidden from us... I'm not entirely certain what it was that completely drew me in but there was always something that absolutely fascinated me about his tales of Eldritch abominations. The monsters that were giant and almost incomprehensible to the human mind just always kind of did it for me, I guess. If you want to take a look at some of his work be sure to check out his short story "The Call of Cthulhu" and some of his other works like "The Hound" which contain the Necronomicon - a myth he himself created.

6. olivia343

olivia343 New Member

With so many genres that I really like its hard to chose but so far out of the many books I discovered that John Greene is my favorite author. John Greene is my top author because his books are very interesting and capture me every time, especially The Fault In Our Stars.

7. Kelsey Kramer

Kelsey Kramer New Member

Edgar, I have to agree about Stephen King, he has such a unique way of writing that I find people either love or hate. I've actually tried reading "It" before, but call me a chicken! I couldn't finish the silly thing. Maybe I shouldn't of attempted to read it at night, who knows.

8. Brandi Beverly

Brandi Beverly New Member

Ellen Hopkins is definitely my all time favorite. Her style of writing is unique and the way she tackles controversial topics is outstanding. She writes in a prose style of poetry and makes it interesting. It somehow fits the topic or theme of her novels perfectly. Her novels are mainly for teens; however, anyone can relate to them. She tackles religion, drugs, abuse, suicide among many others, and many people don't know how to write them and make it realistic. She manages to do so beautifully.

9. EmilyCahn

EmilyCahn New Member

І wоuld bе hаrd-рrеssеd tо dеsіgnаtе јust оnе аuthоr аs mу fаvоrіtе аbоvе аll оthеrs bесаusе І hаvе fаvоrіtеs іn bоth fісtіоn аnd nоn-fісtіоn саtеgоrіеs, аs wеll аs mоrе thаn оnе fаvоrіtе аuthоr іn раrtісulаr gеnrеs.

Іn thе саtеgоrу оf сlаssіс lіtеrаturе, thе wоrks оf Јаnе Аustеn, еsресіаllу Рrіdе аnd Рrејudісе аnd Ѕеnsе аnd Ѕеnsіbіlіtу, hаvе bееn еndurіng fаvоrіtеs оf mіnе sіnсе hіgh sсhооl. Неr kееn оbsеrvаtіоns оf humаn bеhаvіоr аnd еаr fоr wіttу dіаlоguе аrе іrrеsіstіblе, аnd І hаvе rеrеаd hеr nоvеls аt rеgulаr іntеrvаls fоr уеаrs. Тwо оf mу fаvоrіtе susреnsе аuthоrs аrе Јоhn Lе Саrrе аnd Јоhn Grіshаm; Таіlоr, Тіnkеr, Ѕоldіеr, Ѕру аnd Тhе Ѕtrееt Lаwуеr wеrе bоth nоvеls І соuldn't рut dоwn. Whеn І аm іn thе mооd tо lаugh оut lоud, І turn tо thе еаrlу wоrks оf Раtrісk F. МсМаnus, іnсludіng А Fіnе аnd Рlеаsаnt Міsеrу, Νеvеr Ѕnіff а Gіft Fіsh, аnd Тhе Νіght thе Веаr Аtе Gооmbаw. І hаvе rесоmmеndеd hіs bооks оf hоmеsрun humоr соuntlеss tіmеs bесаusе hіs сhаrасtеrs аrе bоth еаsу tо іdеntіfу wіth аnd mеmоrаblе іn аn оvеr-thе-tор kіnd оf wау. Не аlsо wrіtеs mуstеrіеs, whісh І hаvеn't уеt rеаd. Fіnаllу, І fіnd thе wоrk оf Dаvіd МсСullоugh соmреllіng. Ніs bіоgrарhу, Јоhn Аdаms, lеft mе fееlіng bоth іnfоrmеd аnd еntеrtаіnеd.

10. Shubham Shukla

Shubham Shukla New Member

My favorite author is J.K. Rowling. She's the author of the bestseller series, 'Harry Potter'. Ms. Rowling has inspired me so much as a writer and a person. Her rags to riches story can motivate anyone to follow their dreams. My interest in writing developed right when I had started reading the Harry Potter series. She became my idol. I read all about Ms. Rowling and her life story, the financial crisis she went through, and all that she overcame to become a world renowned author. After Harry Potter, she's written on some very different genres. I'd want to be able to write like her, someday.

11. Thedino89

Thedino89 New Member

Choosing on particular author to deem as you "favorite" is near impossible. It's similar to choosing a favorite genre of music. It really depends on your mood and mind set at the time. When I am feeling adventurous or even bored at home I might love Edgar Rice Burroughs; or when I am feeling melancholy I might choose Haruki Murakami. Yet, one author that has always seemed to engage and amaze me regardless of my current mindset is Kurt Vonegut. I read Sirens of Titan as a young boy in my teens and it captivated me. The sci-fi setting was not merely there for novelty sake but was a great platform and necessary for the plot. The way the characters change throughout the course of the novel is unexpected and delightful. After finishing that book I wasn't completely in love with KV...that is until I read Cat's Cradle years later. The imagination and heart in that book is staggering. Without giving too much away, the reason that novel rendered me speechless was how KV turned the actual physical book you were holding into part of the story itself. A powerful experience indeed. No author has been able to implant feeling of true importance and emotion such as Kurt Vonegut.

12. Nekrozflux

Nekrozflux New Member

My favorite author of all time would have to be J.K Rowling. The story of Harry Potter absolutely resonates with me, that anyone with humble beginnings can achieve greatness in the face of hardship and adversity. The values of friendship and loyalty also strike a chord within me, the books definitely move me every time I read them. The way Rowling wrote the story of Harry Potter, well it's the emotional connection that I have with the series and no others that I can call J.K. Rowling my favorite author (though Rick Riordan is a close second).

13. michael.collins

michael.collins New Member

Тоugh quеstіоn.. Тhе fіrst аuthоr tо сrоss mу mіnd іs Тоlkіеn, but thоugh І lоvе аnd аdmіrе hіs wоrk, І'll gо wіth а dutсh wrіtеr thіs tіmе: Тоnkе Drаgt (аlthоugh іt's quіtе sоmе tіmе аgо І rеаd аnуthіng wrіttеn bу hеr).

Тоnkе Drаgt іs а dutсh wrіtеr оf сhіldrеn's lіtеrаturе. Ѕіnсе mу dаd lоvеs hеr stоrіеs аs wеll, hе usеd tо rеаd mе Dе brіеf vооr dе kоnіng (Іf уоu trаnslаtе thаt уоu wоuld gеt sоmеthіng lіkе "Тhе lеttеr fоr thе Κіng") whеn І wаs уоungеr. І rеаd thе sеquеl Gеhеіmеn vаn hеt Wіldе Wоud (sесrеts оf thе wіld fоrrеst) mуsеlf. Воth аrе sіtuаtеd іn а fісtіоnаl mеdіеvаl wоrld, fіllеd wіth аwеsоmе аdvеnturеs. Ѕіnсе thе mаіn сhаrасtеrs оf hеr stоrіеs аrе сhіldrеn аs wеll, І аlwауs fоund іt vеrу еаsу tо іdеntіfу уоursеlf wіth thеm. Іn 2008 thеу аdарtеd thе fіrst bооk іntо а fіlm. Му dаd іnsіstеd wе wоuld gо tо thе сіnеmа, but аftеr sееіng thе fіlm wе wеrе bоth vеrу dіsарроіntеd...

Аftеr wrіtіng thіs роst І thіnk І wіll dіg uр а сору оf Dе Вrіеf vооr dе Κоnіng аnd stаrt rеаdіng іt аgаіn

14. dodgerfan81

dodgerfan81 New Member

I would have to say my favorite author is Karin Slaughter. She has a way of writing that makes it very hard to put the book down. Turns out that last night I had decided to read one of her two books that I had bought a while back that I just have never made time to read. I planned to read for about an hour and go to bed. Well 2 hours later and 6 chapters, I finally put it down. She tends to have short chapters so its easy to get far but because she ends the chapters in a cliff hanger sort of way, its hard to not keep going. I recommend her to anyone that enjoys a good drama, murder mystery type of book.

15. Gandalf

Gandalf New Member

I have to say Haruki Murakami. From the very first book, I was mesmerized by his stories. What I found most astonishing though, was that he was describing everyday routine activities, with simple words (translated from Japanese, in fact). So where was the magic coming from? Many books later, I still have not found the answer but I am having great fun while searching for it.

16. katz840

katz840 New Member

I am a self admitted "constant reader". Anything that Stephen King writes, I buy the day it is released. Any other book I am reading is tossed away like yesterday's newspaper. Everything else (including the family) is put on hold until I devour it the first time. I have 2 book shelves...one for King (and King related i.e., his wife Tabatha and his son Joe Hill)....and one for everything else.

17. Marte

Marte New Member

William Gibson, no contest. He writes cyberpunk, or science fiction. His language is so beautiful, and I always fall in love with his characters.

18. Zngriego

Zngriego New Member

I have read many books in my 15 years of life, definitely not as much as most people, but still a lot. But the ones that always leave me longing for more were written by Ellen Hopkins. She is by far my favorite author, and has written 10 bestsellers, with hopefully more on the way. Ellen Hopkins takes my breath away with each story she forms by writing in poems. I love many writer's work but Ellen Hopkins is the icing on top of my book cake.

19. Pretty Stacy

Pretty Stacy New Member

C.S Lewis for me, he is so intriguing and i love the way he write books Most of his books are written based on his experience and in life, i easily learn when it is related to real life. The way he used words are so simple and that is what i love, simplicity makes his books be easily understood. CS Lewis is one of the brightest authors i always look up to.
    The way he explains and the content of his books as are really intriguing and it is interesting so i never get bored unlike other authors. I suggest you would read books of CS Lewis also. He is a brilliant person!

20. owly47

owly47 New Member

Count of Montecristo by Alexander Dumas.Its about a young French sailor who was unjustly imprisoned for 14 years before he escapes and ultimately takes revenge on his enemies.The author did a great job describing the emotions of the prisoner.Disbelief,denial,self pity,madness,apathy and finally hope.

Dresden file book series by Jim Butcher.There are 8 books in the series beginning with stormfront.It narrates the story of Harry Dresden,chicago's only professional wizard.He stands between the general population who is ignorant about the supernatural world and the monsters-vampires,werewolves,fey.He is aided by Bob,a talking skull.Karrin Murphy-a police officer and Thomas-a white court vampire.

21. Kara79

Kara79 New Member

I have a few favorite authors but only two that I will drop everything I'm doing in order to read a new book. Stephen King, and Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. I wait for them like most people wait for movies! I think that Stephen King is a favorite, just for the sheer terror that he winds into his books. He does a good job fleshing out his characters just enough to make you love/hate/fear them. The Stand is probably my favorite book written by him. While it is not out and out a horror book, it is definitely a complete mind game the entire way through. The thought of a plague killing the bulk of the world is a very real, and very scary threat.

Laurell K. Hamilton is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I'm not a "romance novel" kind of girl, but her flavor of preternatural romance really sucked me in. She has grown the characters she really wanted to grow, she has given them a fullness that makes you feel like they are real people. I am one of those people that I can picture a person from the descriptions given, and she does a fantastic job of describing features.

22. Amgirl44

Amgirl44 Member

I love to read very much. It's a nice way to pass the time but it's really hard to pick only one author. I thoroughly enjoy Neil Gaiman's imaginative storytelling. He creates wild and creative stories. They are so fantastical I can't stop reading his books until I'm almost finished the book. It feels good to find a worthy book and his really are worth reading. I liked Neverwhere and Coraline. Another author I enjoy is Stephen King because he comes up with the most twisted and dark stories. You can tell he brings his personal darkness into his books, where else would he get such crazy ideas. Another great author is Barbara Kingsolver she's a talented writer and I wish I could write like her. Those are my favorites but if I had to pick one it would be Barbara Kingsolver.

23. Amgirl44

Amgirl44 Member

I also enjoyed the Harry Potter series so very much they are dear to me!

24. Harmony Lassen

Harmony Lassen New Member

I would definitely have to stay Stephen King. I'm not typically a fan of horror, but I absolutely love his books. His writing style is amazing. His descriptions and metaphors never cease to amaze me. He is one of the best authors I have ever read.

25. xcredence

xcredence New Member

I have read a lot of books, but I would have to say Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author. The fact that he can take so many different genres and personalities and blend them together makes him a master of the craft.I would heavily recommend any of his books to anyone.

One of my favorite books of his includes a magic system where the inhabitants of this fantasy world ingest metals in order to gain superhuman abilities. I love that! It's an amazing magic system because it introduces several issues such as finding the metal, of which there is a limited quantity.

Oumaima likes this.
  26. LyfeWonders

LyfeWonders New Member

Oh, my... I have to say J.K. Rowling or C.S. Lewis. They both create masterpieces in words that have captured the heart of millions of people.

Oumaima likes this.
  27. Kw35t4F1r3

Kw35t4F1r3 New Member

A bit "mainstream," but Stephen King's body of work has held my interest for decades. Sure, it's a bit bloated, like he's being paid by the letter, and the horror genre isn't considered the most highbrow among lovers of the written word, but the mythology he's created over time is very interesting.

The Dark Tower series, for those who have never read it, is a Magnum Opus about an Old West gunslinger named Roland, his quest to find the Dark Tower, and confront God, and his band of misfits gathered along the way. With careful reading, one notices that all of his work has at least some tie-in to The Dark Tower series, making everything coherent, and connected.

28. LyfeWonders

LyfeWonders New Member

My mom absolutely adores Stephen King. She has tried to persuade me to read his works over and over. Maybe someday I'll find time to take in his writing, but for now, I continue to read teen favorites.

29. Michal Shaon

Michal Shaon New Member

I will iterate distinct additional signs along my say...JRR Tolkien. Hellos syllabus of Halfway Soil is incredible, essentially during considering the weight further the meticulous item he added to per process. Tolkien nay singular was a boyfriend of legend, he was besides a boyfriend of derivation and vernacular. If, stretch lesson hellos processs, you befall over a slogan or equable a mandate that you reflect is ideal...it is so it is. Tolkien nit-picked hellos full processs, from The Hobbit to The Silmarillion (or, what he wrote of it, I apprehend hellos junior helped censor it). Exact the aliass Tolkien shares are splendid.

30. Duck59

Duck59 New Member

The thought of having a single favourite author is too overwhelming. My favourite will vary according to what I am reading at any given time. As an obsessive of 19th-century literature, I could offer George Eliot, Anthony Trollope, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Wilkie Collins and Joseph Conrad for starters. I love Zola and Dostoevsky, too. Coming closer to the present, Gabriel Garcia Marquez takes some beating.