Who is your favorite author of all times?

Discussion in 'Books' started by ~TheDarkKnight~, Jun 11, 2014.

1. DavidRooney

DavidRooney New Member

The great Stephen King.... He's the first author who got me hooked into reading in the first place. He's a master of storytelling; he created characters who you could really really love (or hate). His books always tell stories of common (read: real) people like you and me dealing with extraordinary circumstances, and it makes it easier to relate to these people and care about what happens to them. He can sends a chill to your bone like no other authors can. Well, he's a master of horror isn't he?

2. Readi

Readi New Member

I enjoy the fiction of Ayn Rand. Her novels imagine a world where a man can desire greatness without feeling ashamed to do so. The trivial preoccupations of the post modern world are cast aside in her writing. The big ideas like destiny and morality are treated with the dignity they deserve and I was changed as a result of reading her work.

3. tardy12

tardy12 New Member

I read all the books of many authors: Tom Clancy, J. D. Robb, Maeve Binchy, Marion Zimmer Bradley, to name a few, but my all time favorite author is J.R.R. Tolkien. I am in awe with the sheer complexity of his masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings. To be able to create a whole world with diverse people who all have different histories, mythologies, songs, and legends is such an achievement, and in my opinion, it is unequaled.

4. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrel New Member

I absolutely love Lee Child (Jack Reacher series) and anything by Stephen King. The Stand was my all-time favorite until I read Desperation - I could not put that book down! I spent many a late-night reading sessions with that book.

5. huejoe

huejoe Member

I had several favourite authors over the years, most of them were contemporaries. I discovered shakespeare, and that's it for me. I think academics make people hate Shakespeare with their none stop analysis while his plays are very entertaining.
    I don't think I'm being fair to other authors since Shakespeare should be a category by itself.

jeffzod7 likes this.
  6. KayCeeWritter

KayCeeWritter New Member

I have read alot of books written by many authors. The one author i can't seem to get enough of is prof. Chinua Achebe.

jeffzod7 likes this.
  7. jeffzod7

jeffzod7 New Member

I have several favorite authors.They are Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, J.K Rawlings, Benjamin Graham, Robert Kiyosaki and John Grisham.I have read several books from each of these authors, and I must admit they are very good at what they do.

8. p3rs0n

p3rs0n New Member

It's a hard choice to make. When I was younger it was Jules Verne but for many years now I've been reading mostly sci-fi and therefore I'd say my favorite id Asimov, mostly because of his Foundation series.

9. jbernardo2145

jbernardo2145 New Member

J.K. Rowling. Obviously I'm a Harry Potter fanatic. I admired her for her out this world ideas and concepts in writing that book. She let me play my wide imagination with the different magical characters, creatures and places in her book. I'd felt that when I'm reading it, I'm also in that magical place.

But the best author for me is our Creator. Because He created me and He continue writing the chapter of my life.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. JoyaH

JoyaH New Member

My favorite author of all time has to be J.K. Rowling! I know it sounds a bit basic, but I and an extreme fan of Harry Potter! The books, I think are better than the movies considering Rowling's personal touch was put into each of the books.

11. amec

amec New Member

I think William Shakespeare. That man was a genius. I like his work because it's logical. You can easily comprehend what he is trying to imply, and the plot is amazing always. His sonnets are beautiful too.

12. crybllrd

crybllrd New Member

Tough question. Probably Tolstoy or Asimov, depending on my mood. But if I'm looking for something "lite", I love Jodi Piccoult (yes, even though I am a 30 year old male) and John Grisham.

13. izay

izay New Member

I would say Og Mandino. One of the best inspirational writers of all time. His book "The Greatest Salesman in the World" is the best book that I have ever read. Very inspiring.

14. willwehling

willwehling New Member

My favorite author is Howard Phillip Lovecraft. He creates such vivid environments. I love how his works are shorter in length, but are incredibly deep.

15. sashablue123

sashablue123 New Member

I've been a bookworm for my entire life and I remember secretly reading under my blanket long after bed time :)

Being in a rough time of my life I like to turn to poetry - mostly for a good cry, let's be real. But at the same time, it's so much easier for me when I can tell the author was maybe going through something similar (or that's how I interpret it) and I don't feel so lonely anymore. One of my favorites right now is Sylvia Plath: Her poetry is melancholic, sad and uplifting at the same time. Makes me feel like the world is crumbling around me, but I have the ability to keep my head up high.

I've always loved Edgar Allan Poe and his short stories. Amazing, how much anticipation, fear and this claustrophobic feeling I always get when reading the Cask of Amontillado! Brilliant author!

16. CMW0405

CMW0405 New Member

I love reading about things that really happened and this is why I was drawn to Ann Rule. She was an American true crime author. Did you know that Ted Bundy was her co-worker?

One of my favorite books of hers is titled "Small Sacrifices" about Diane Downs. Diane Downs was all about herself and it was as though the children she had were just in the way of her living her life the way she wanted to do. But karma has a way of coming around and biting one in the hind end.

17. FrankLivee

FrankLivee New Member

I love reading books about being in the ghetto. Growing up having it bad as a child. Only because it makes the character a strong person. Most children that go through bad things as a child, can do nothing other than become mature quicker at a younger age. Which makes them a better character. I would rather a child hold a door for a lady than my child see the lady reach for the day and him wait and have the lady open the door for him. Just an example of Parents doesn't everything for a child rather than a child growing up being more mature.. tbh I'm high asf writing these