Why are we so afraid to die?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by zeekersmyle03, Nov 22, 2018.

1. zeekersmyle03

zeekersmyle03 New Member

A preacher ask his congregation one Sunday morning.

"Who wants to go to heaven?"

All eagerly raised their hands. Some has even raised both of their hands in the air.

After a while the preacher then said, "Okay then very well. Now let me ask you. Who wants to go to heaven now?"

And just as fast, everyone's hand dropped leaving a few uncertain ones, trying to decide, with their hands still raised but a little lower.

Why are we so afraid to die? Why is it that we don't want our lives to end just yet? Even with the promise of paradise, very few of us would want to go to other side now.

Is it because we don't believe that there is heaven; paradise that is promised to us by God?
    Is it because we have so many important things to do that we can't go just yet?
    Is it because we have not done what we are supposed to do?

If I ask you now: would you like to go to heave NOW?
    (If you type answer YES, expect a call later tonight. JOKE! LOL! Even I don't want to go just yet. For one reason or another, I don't think many of us would want to.)

Isn't it funny to think about?
    But what is funnier to think about is that:

Though most of us don't want to go just yet, most of us don't want to live just yet either.

It's true! Most of us do not look for their passion. Still some who has found their passion, ignores it for 'the more important matters'.

Life as it is, is the one gift that we have. And it passes every time we let chances pass by. We shouldn't waste it with just 'the important matters'. Because life is not made up of important matters. It is a collection of all the things that you might not know is important.

Smile. Laugh a little. Find your passion.

And when the time comes that it is really the time to go, you can go while really living.

1 person likes this.
  2. emarcilla

emarcilla New Member

In my opinion, we are all going to the latter period of our life when we get old and die. The only reason we are afraid to die is that we are not ready. We haven't done our part nor our purpose here on earth. We are afraid to leave behind our loved ones. We haven't finish what we've started or we haven't found our destiny yet.

We are all praying for a long life here on earth, pushing our strong will to live but whether we like it or not, there's a lot of unavoidable and unexpected things happen to us beyond our control that might cause us death. So, instead of waiting that to happen, why not use our precious time doing what is good for us and for others? Let's live our life to the fullest and let's make ourselves a good example and be an inspiration for our next generation. In that way, we know that we will leave them a good legacy and we will always be remembered.

3. melissapreston9

melissapreston9 New Member

Fear of the unknown is natural. It's a survival instinct. We also know our death would cause great pain for our loved ones.

As far as our passions are concerned, I have been asking myself this same question, lately. We spend so much of our time on things that do not bring us any kind of joy. We put so much effort into relationships with people that only add negativity to our lives. For me, and probably a lot of other people, it almost feels selfish to focus on the things we love or to remove the toxic people and things from our lives. I'd love to know more about where that feelings comes from.

4. victoriab91

victoriab91 New Member

The overarching reason people are so afraid to die is because we fear the unknown. However, not only do we fear death itself, we fear the way we will die. There is no way to know whether or not you will have a painful or pain-free death. Attached to the way we die is when we die. There is also no way of knowing when it is our time to go. That is what makes each and everyday so important. In a way, our fear of death may actually be a strength if it inspires us to live each day as if it is our last. We know so little about what the afterlife truly entails which is what is so frightening. If there was a way to predict what may be expected, death might not be so scary after all.

5. achikeziah

achikeziah New Member

I think one of the reasons why people are so scared of death is his ignorance of his destiny after death. The uncertainty of his state after leaving earth, the assumption that hell and eternal punishment await him after death and the pain that accompanies when one has to leave his loved ones cause one to be fearful of death.
    People tend to believe that God is keeping score. Thus, when one feels he is wicked and getting more sinful, he is doomed to hell which makes him more scared of death.
    Contrarily, Revelation 14:13 says, “Blessed are those who die in the Lord … for they will rest from their hard work; their good deeds follow them.”
    Others are fearful of death because instinctively humans resist change and death is am abrupt change. Change of state and a change of being.
    More so, there are those who fear death because they have no hope. They feel hopeless and lost when life ceased but the Bible says in 1 John 4:18, "...If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced His perfect love.”

6. teremisuu

teremisuu New Member

People are so afraid to die because nobody knows what comes next after death. We are all afraid of uncertainties and oblivion. Even if there are people who believe in the afterlife, they can't be certain about it. It's something inevitable and it's something that we have no control on. Also, it might be worth noting that everytime someone dies, people hold funerals. Most funerals are depressing and there is just so much pain and crying going on, and I think that this scene is something that people know too well and are afraid of witnessing.

Another reason why we are so afraid to die is that we are not yet ready to, probably because we have so many dreams and aspirations that we have yet to achieve. This is what makes living magical -- we are able to make choices and take risks, and we are able to experience and feel the happiness or even the devastation from these endeavors. We never know, but when we die there's a chance that we will turn into nothingness. No more everything -- choices, emotions, actions, thoughts, aspirations -- and this can be tragic to most of us.

7. dheesaurx

dheesaurx New Member

Fear of Death (Thanatophobia) could be looked at in a different way as a strong survival instinct. This fear/instinct is an integral part of being a human being and has been instrumental in our evolution throughout millions of years. Our fear of the unknown and dying has led to immeasurable advances in science, math and shapes the very world we live in. Life-saving medicines and procedures, hitherto unimaginable, are now commonplace throughout the world. These advancements have come directly or indirectly from an innate desire to beat death. This instinct combined with advancements in science, contributed by brilliant men and women have brought us ever closer to achieving this dream.

An indicator for this would be the average human life expectancy and quality of life. Life expectancies have risen exponentially across the world over the years and so has the quality of life. With more breakthroughs in genome editing and technologies like CRISPR we are ever closer to beating aging and even previously incurable diseases like HIV AIDS and Cancer! Maybe then we will be rid of our baseless fear of death...

1 person likes this.
  8. Xane911

Xane911 Member

The idea of death is very inevitable, we are all born to die, and that idea is what we fear most in this world. Dying is indeed scary, we don't wanna die, but it's not as bad as we think it is as long as we lived our life by doing good deed and helping others. We are all born with a mission and that mission is to help other people. Care for the weak, give aims for the poor, love our neighbours and value God above all else. If we do these kind of things then we are capable of ensuring a much better life after death. Riches and Fame will not last forever, but a purity of one's heart is the key for everlasting life. Keep our faith high and trust in the decision of our Lord and we shall be saved from the fear of death.

9. Ric

Ric Member

After some spiritual experience that I went through, I no longer fear death. There are many things to life as there are many things to death in my belief. Many answers while alive can be found within when you balance your mind and heart. Positive affirmations about your life right now and gratitude everyday will bring about this inner knowing. The creator has a purpose for us while we are here and if we are living our purpose we wont fear what's to come. Our purpose is to love others and help one another.

10. nrico143

nrico143 New Member

Life is ephemeral. We are just passing beings here on earth. The thought of dying scares us mainly because we are afraid that we will leave someone or something we value so much behind or simply because we are not ready yet. You might have still a lot of things that you want to do or achieve in life. You also have your family and friends that you love and you don't want them to cry over you when you're gone which makes you anxious and reluctant to think about dying.

But, why should we be scared? Isn't it a gain instead? It would mean the end of suffering for those who had hard lives. That's why there are those who commit suicides not because they are not afraid of dying but they are tired of living.

As for me, dying is never a choice. We are unable to know when, where or how we will die. It just comes knocking at your door when you least expect it. When it's already your time, it's already your time. So, why should we be scared of dying when all of us will eventually die? The best bargain is just to live each day as if it's your last so that you won't die with regrets.

11. babyshelle

babyshelle New Member

We are so afraid to die because we have no idea what will happen next. People are afraid to the things they did not know. We do not know what it feels like to die. Is it painful? Will it give me a hard time to breathe? Of course, we are also afraid to die because of the thought that we will leave everything behind. Our loved ones, friends and companions. We are afraid with the thought that we will never be longer with them. We will be forgotten as time passed by.
    Still, we should not be afraid. Dying means that we will never feel pain again. Dying is a call from heaven. When Lord says that it is our time to be with Him. We should be grateful.

12. senshin19

senshin19 New Member

People is not really afraid to die, they just not yet ready because they love their life and the people around them, they still want to achieve their dreams in life. As what I observed, when people gets old and have already fulfil their dreams for themselves and for their family, I heard them say "I am ready to die ". So I guess, people want to die when their family is already in good conditions and nothing to worry about, people want to die happy. Life is a precious gift from God on us, so why not live it to the fullest and enjoy the life given to you.

13. angeliacq

angeliacq New Member

It's always the either the fear of pain and the fear of the unknown. There's a lot of beliefs surrounding what happens when we die. What I believe in, is that when we die, we simply just don't exist. It's a lot better than to succumb in a painful sickness. People are more afraid of pain than death itself.

14. elirose7890

elirose7890 Member

It is a fact that many people are afraid of death. I can understand however that there are some that are not afraid by this idea. Maybe the latter think that life is just a part of a journey and not the whole journey. So, nothing ends by death.
    My aim here is to discover the reason death makes many people afraid.Well, as biological beings, humans want to survive and the idea of passing out is negative in our minds. Furthermore, I think that some people that think deeper are afraid of death not only because of the instinct mentioned above, but because they feel they may not have the time they want to complete all the things they have on their minds. I can also understand that some people are afraid of the idea that they may end up dying in a painful way.
    In my opinion death has endless negative sides, however if people could live forever, would they afterwards appreciate and respect life? Supposing people didn't die, wouldn't they afterwards sit all day in front of a TV doing nothing,because they would have in mind "I have endless time to do other things as well,let's just do nothing for now".

15. nongnuri

nongnuri New Member

For me, it is the product of human evolution. Those who aren't afraid to die are less likely to reproduce. Most of us are the product of ancestors with the opposite trait.

This could also tie to our belief in supernatural beings. Imagine our ancestors noticing a waving bush, it could be a lion waiting to eat them or nothing but blowing wind. No matter what is behind the bush, ancestors who assumed that there is 'something' will come out alive. Thus, the habit of assuming that there are more powerful beings than us out there carried on through generations to this day.

16. Tehilah27

Tehilah27 Member

Nigerians are very religious and very superstitious. One of the greatest prayers they can pray for you is that "you will not die". There is almost no church, mosque or traditional religion that doesn't spend quality time praying against death here in Nigeria. The fear of death is constantly on their minds! This is because they believe that " when there is life, there is hope". They believe that no matter what situation you find yourself, there is always hope for you to come out of it as long as there is life. This is why most of them cannot comprehend suicide as it negates everything they believe in.

I have considered the idea of my death for quite a while and the funny thing is that I am not afraid to die (I am not suicidal in case your internal alarm just went off so calm down). I am not afraid of death, it is the means by which I die that scares me. The thought of dying slowly and painfully scares me. I would love to sleep and go peacefully from there. I have not achieved everything I want to achieve and I would love to achieve a whole lot more but if I were to die, I would not be afraid to die peacefully.

17. Dauskivo

Dauskivo New Member

People are not afraid to die, being afraid is a big word. But maybe we are scared to leave our loved ones or maybe because we haven’t achieve our goals yet. Still, that’s life. People will come and go, they will leave if that’s their time. What we need is to be ready, while we are still alive, show those people who are important to you that you love them. Enjoy your life and have fun. Lastly, accept God as your savior.

18. uychristy053

uychristy053 Member

I am not afraid to die. Let me answer this question now. I think one of the reasons why people are so scared of death is his ignorance of his destiny after death. The uncertainty of his state after leaving earth, the assumption that hell and eternal punishment await him after death and the pain that accompanies when one has to leave his loved ones cause one to be fearful of death. Death is a separation.

They are so afraid because they tend to believe that God is keeping score. Thus, when one feels he is wicked and getting more sinful, he is doomed to hell which makes him more scared of death. Contrarily, Revelation 14:13 says, “Blessed are those who die in the Lord … for they will rest from their hard work; their good deeds follow them.”
    Others are fearful of death because instinctively humans resist change and death is am abrupt change. Change of state and a change of being. The mortal becomes immortal.

Finally, there are those who fear death because they have no hope. They feel hopeless and lost when life ceased but the Bible says in 1 John 4:18, "...If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced His perfect love. God is the hope to the hopeless world. Let us all believe in Him as our Lord and Savior.

19. doomhobo

doomhobo New Member

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid that when I die I will not have lived my fullest life, like a philosophical fear of missing out.

I believe that when we pass, there is nothing. We don't feel sad or happy, disappointed or relieved, or any other combination of feelings because we cease to feel. Like @dheesaurx mentioned, fear of death can be understood simply as a survival instinct- we were accidentally programmed by nature to further our species and dying really gets in the way of reproducing.

20. potchjose

potchjose New Member

Let me answer this question now. I think one of the reasons why people are so afraid of death is his ignorance of his destiny after death. The uncertainty of his state after leaving earth, the assumption that hell and eternal punishment await him after death and the pain that accompanies when one has to leave his loved ones cause one to be fearful of death. Death is a separation. We are separated from our loved ones.

They are so afraid because they tend to believe that God is keeping it hidden. Thus, when one feels he is wicked and getting more sinful, he is doomed to hell which makes him more scared of death. Contrarily, Revelation 14:13 says, “Blessed are those who die in the Lord for they will rest from their hard work; their good deeds follow them.” Others are fearful of death because instinctively humans resist change and death is an abrupt change. Change of state and a change of being. The mortal becomes immortal. Everything changes in death.

Lastly, there are those who fear death because they have no hope. They feel hopeless and lost when life ceased but the Bible says in 1 John 4:18, "If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced His perfect love. God is the hope to the hopeless world. Let us all believe in Him as our Lord and Savior. The only way to be sure that we will go directly to heaven is to accept Jesus Christ.

21. faithsalon4

faithsalon4 New Member

I believe that we should not be afraid to die. If Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior, you are not supposed to be afraid of death. Death is not to be dreaded for. It is supposed to be welcomed by both arms. It is because of our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

You should only be afraid if you don't know where you are going when you die. If you only know that you will be with God in heaven, you will not fear death anymore. Death is just like entering the door of heaven. It is really the true and eternal life. You will become immortal just like God.

I am not afraid to die because I have made Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I am now a child of God. I am his friend and no longer his enemy. He will never leave me nor forsake me. I entrust my spirit to Him. I surrender my life to him. He loves me and I love him too.

22. quirkydorky

quirkydorky New Member

I am a Christian and i am afraid to die because i havent completed or served my purpose yet in this world. It makes me so afraid when i think about meeting Jesus and telling him nothing, nothing because i havent done anything yet for him. All i did in this world was for my self and all those earthling things. I am ashamed and a fool of myself, i just hope i can easily change and be a better person. I want to deserve the love and blessings all He has given me. So before i leave on earth i hope i can fulfill my purpose.

23. miztahimik21

miztahimik21 New Member

Death is an important and abrupt change, every individual resists the change.We are afraid because instinctively we resist change and death is an abrupt change in life. The master Chuang Tzu says beautifully, man’s thirst for survival in the future makes him incapable of living in the present We are afraid because we do not know who we are. We hold an identity of ourselves inside us, based on our family, relationships, job, wealth, social image etc. Death removes this very foundation on which our identity is built, so we feel death snatches everything that is ours. Our understanding about death, or rather our misunderstanding about death, makes death a fearful, frightening experience. The man who resists death dies even while he lives. He dies every moment because he is tortured by the very idea of death. When I say death, I dont mean only physical death. Losing anything is a form of death. Losing your comfortable life is one form of death, losing your relatives is another. Please understand that loss in any form is nothing but death.

24. Lawy

Lawy New Member

We are so afraid to die because no one knows what's on the other side. Some people believe in after life and other lives before this life. This belief helps them to cling on this life and do good. Others don't believe in other lifetime they believe in living for the moment and making the best out of it cause somehow they've accepted that they'll die at some point. But all in all both groups are afraid of death and they've created a belief to help them coup with the fear of the unknown. Thefore I conclude that we are afraid to die because we don't know what's on the other side after we've died and trying to understand death only makes it more complicated.

25. writemebackrightnow

writemebackrightnow New Member

Hello,

Death is part of life. I believe that spiritual education can help us when we are near-death experience (NDE) to understand the phenomenon and not to be afraid of it. It is said that no one resurrected after he died. It's not like that. Many people have returned from the dead, through a clinical death. Since the sophisticated resuscitation devices have evolved, many people have returned to life through a clinical death. In the future the world will evolve from spiritual point of view, and will realize that the distance from the earth to the world beyond can be much smaller than the distance between two neighboring cities.
    Also many doctors and scientists who did not believe in near-death experience (NDE), after having suffered a clinical death, they say there is life after death.
    So, do not worry about death, just live your life with confidence.
    All the best,

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  26. writemebackrightnow

writemebackrightnow New Member

Hello,

Death is part of life. I believe that spiritual education can help us when we are near-death experience (NDE) to understand the phenomenon and not to be afraid of it. It is said that no one resurrected after he died. It's not like that. Many people have returned from the dead, through a clinical death. Since the sophisticated resuscitation devices have evolved, many people have returned to life through a clinical death. In the future the world will evolve from spiritual point of view, and will realize that the distance from the earth to the world beyond can be much smaller than the distance between two neighboring cities.
    Also many doctors and scientists who did not believe in near-death experience (NDE), after having suffered a clinical death, they say there is life after death.
    So, do not worry about death, just live your life with confidence.
    All the best,

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  27. Remziel

Remziel Member

Death is an important and abrupt change, every individual resists the change.We are afraid because instinctively we resist change and death is an abrupt change in life.We hold an identity of ourselves inside us, based on our family, relationships, job, wealth, social image etc. Death removes this very foundation on which our identity is built, so we feel death snatches everything that is ours. Our understanding about death, or rather our misunderstanding about death, makes death a fearful, frightening experience. The man who resists death dies even while he lives. He dies every moment because he is tortured by the very idea of death. When I say death, I dont mean only physical death. Losing anything is a form of death. Losing your comfortable life is one form of death, losing your relatives is another. Please understand that loss in any form is nothing but death.

28. ryzitro

ryzitro New Member

Death is inevitable. It is a life cycle, you will born, live and then die. I think the reason why most people are afraid to die because they do not want to leave their love ones. They still have a mission or purpose to live on.

29. jsoriano10

jsoriano10 New Member

It is a common human behavior to feel afraid of something that we are not certain of. Not knowing what will happen to the people you love most as soon as you pass, the lack of information about the afterlife, contemplating whether you will go straight to heaven or hell and the pain you need endure before dying. All these things added-up are the probable reasons why people are scared of death.

A line from a song has struck me and changed my perspective about life and it says, "Everybody dies, but not everybody lives." This has made me realize that I am blessed to be given a chance to walk this earth and accomplish things in my lifetime, a chance that is not given to everyone. For now, live in the moment, make the most out of your human life and just enjoy the ride. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  30. msmd01

msmd01 New Member

I agree with you that we can never avoid death because the moment we are born, we are also bound to die. That is why I always believe that we should live our lives to the best of our abilities and always sieze the day.
    Also, being alive and being left behind by our loved ones do not mean punishment. Instead, we should always take it as a reminder that being alive means you have to strive and look forward.