Why is it Hard to Stick to a Raw Food Diet?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by postprincess, Jul 28, 2013.

1. postprincess

postprincess New Member

I've been trying to change my diet by eating more raw foods. I've had some success but I keep falling off the " raw food wagon ". It's not that I don't like vegetables. I love vegetables but raw veggies get boring after awhile. Raw foods are excellent for health and wellness. I know this but still struggle. I'm questioning myself because I'm not a big meat eater. I wonder why I can't get cozier with a raw food menu. Does anyone have any ideas about why a raw food diet ,would be so difficult for someone, like me, who never liked red meat in the first place?

2. Lex92404

Lex92404 New Member

The raw food diet was difficult for me because you must learn different ways to prepare your food. Raw veggies do get boring after a while, which is why most raw foodists make smoothies, use a juicer, or a food dehydrator, and all different types of tools to create raw food recipes. Try taking a raw food "cooking" or prep class. Yes, I know there is no cooking involved but I did this, and it helped, and there are many of these classes available. You just have to get deep into the vegan community, because many times the classes are held at someones house. I was able to try some great recipes like a raw food dish that tasted like pasta with alfredo sauce, and a raw food cheesecake that tasted like real junk food! You probably just need some more raw recipes to keep you on track. Try to find recipes that remind you of things that you like that are not raw, so when you get the urge to stray you won't because you have a back up plan. Also, always bring your food with you. Quality raw food is hard to find when eating out, this will help keep you on track, also.

You are really just having a hard time because the world is not setup for a raw foods lifestyle. The raw food diet requires you to change more behaviors than the average diet, and you also have to eat much more on this diet to get proper nutrients. You also have to research what to eat to make sure you get proper nutrients because you can't just live off of vegetables alone. You need nuts, seeds, sprouts, and fruits with this diet to make it balanced. Don't be hard on yourself, it takes time for most to go 100% raw, and most do it by slowly transitioning and eating more raw food and less cooked food on a daily basis. Try to recognize that this is more than a dietary change, but a lifestyle change.

3. EnochAbraham

EnochAbraham New Member

When I first started the raw food diet, I really reneged for 7 months before I committed to eating this way. I was very excited, and I had so many books telling me all about the vast amounts of recipes that one could adapt to raw, especially if you had a dehydrator. The first thing I thought was, "My goodness, I can eat cake and pizza on raw!" However, when it came time to actually make the food, it became extraordinarily cumbersome to get the ingredients, prepare food for this and that process, get the tools to make these foods. The recommended tools alone can be a great barrier, as a good juicer and a dehydrator can easily cost upwards of $500 - $1000 combined.

One thing that can help is looking at the diet from your very own perspective, and trying to figure out what you can do from there. In my 3 years doing it, I went from several different methods, and came out way differently than I was before. I always tell people that nutrient amount really isn't the game here, and it's hard to believe because this is what we are told. However, most of the worries about how to do the raw food diet "right" are exactly the blocks that keep people from doing it well. "I can't get an Omega Juicer, and any other juicer will destroy enzymes." "I want to get all my nutrients, but I can't afford a lb. of greens a day!"

When those worries pop up, reneging on old dieting habits becomes a lot easier to do. Once I stopped worrying about all those things, whether the food is organic or conventional, whether I eat this amount of this type of food, if I have the right tools, it all became a lot easier. I have never subscribed to those amounts of foods, and yet I'm stronger, faster, and smarter than I ever was, and tend to avoid all the raw food pitfalls. Once I just went at it, and stopped worrying, I didn't find myself wanting any of those old foods. If I began to worry, however, those old foods became appealing, so starting simply is the name of the game in my opinion.

Lastly, I would also mention that getting to know what your responses are to food is also important. A lot of confusion comes over hunger and appetite, and sometimes a craving for a food is taken as a need to eat. Learning the difference between appetite and hunger is also pretty important, because I have never been hungry doing the raw diet.

4. Mark Montgomery

Mark Montgomery New Member

One of the biggest difficulties in sticking to a raw food diet is the prep time. Although the consumption of raw veggies does not require cooking or mixing, they do need to be washed and stored in some manner so that they are ready for you when you are ready to eat. Today's choices of foods provide an incredible choice of processed foods, which taste good due to all the sugar and additives. It is just often quicker to choose those than to prepare and eat raw vegetables and fruits.

The best way to stick to a raw vegetable diet is to prepare well ahead of time. Make the decision you are going to do it and plan out 7 days worth of raw veggie snacks and meals. It requires some effort but you will be much healthier for having made the choice.

5. ash87

ash87 New Member

I think you answered your own question in the first few sentences: "raw veggies get boring after awhile" a diet like this completely lacks variety. I personally don't believe humans are designed for a raw vegetable diet for various reasons that I won't completely go into here because it's your choice to pursue a diet like this, but if you're not enjoying it then it's probably not the diet for you. Don't try to force something if you don't enjoy it.

6. dhruv

dhruv New Member

Unless you learn to enjoy the food you that you eat, the struggle will simply continue. One savours the food with eyes and then actually eats it, so why make the food more colourful and interesting. It is not necessary that raw veggies need to be eaten in the same form as available in nature. Why not convert them into something real interesting by mixing a few ingredients like spices, honey, salt, fruit salt, yogurt, lime.....
    Some veggies go well with fruits too!

7. EvangelineHope

EvangelineHope New Member

Eating raw foods is certainly a difficult task. I committed to eating only raw foods for 5months without any dairy, meat, seafood, wheat, grains, or sugar. Doing this was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. Cutting the excess out of my diet I had to diet on fruit smoothies, popcorn, and various other raw foods. You're usually hungry all day. Some benefits are you have more energy, you become really skinny, and the produce is really cheap . Unduly the sacrifice is incredibly trying and the very reason it is so tasking to maintain this kind of a diet.

8. Superjoy

Superjoy New Member

We did the raw food diet for about 18 months, but after that, no matter how much fat or greens or nuts we ate, we really felt that we didn't have much energy, and found that it was too hard for us, so we gradually added some red meat back into our diet, and it was like taking a tonic - a real energy burst.

I think it is vital to have a good support group, we were fortunate to live in San Diego at the time and were able to spend time with David Wolfe and the raw community. Doing it alone can be pretty challenging to stay "on the wagon".

If you can find a few good recipes you like, e.g nut pates, dips, or my favorite - avocado chocolate pudding, I think you will find that you won't really feel like you are just eating veggies. It does require planning, especially for those recipes where you have to soak seeds or nuts for a certain number of hours before using them in your recipe.

9. Marjan

Marjan New Member

I do not have a lot of experience with Raw, but what usually helps me is following Blogs that deal with this and provide me with great recipes (and awesome photos). Amazon will probably sell some good books/cookbooks as well.