Why is ... your favorite movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ibce, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ibce

ibce New Member

I can't really participate in the thread as I don't have a favorite movie per se, though there are a few non-canon movies from the Detective Conan manga and anime that I quite love.

But I've always been curious - what makes a movie good for other people? Or what makes it a favorite?

2. Larae Pickell

Larae Pickell New Member

I can't say that I've seen or read Detective Conan though I would really like to. You question is so vague, to pick just -one- favorite movie of all time? I don't think it's really very realistic. Now if we were talking about our best pick for "genre" then that's a much more manageable choice. For instance: Romance would have to be Pride and Prejudice. Action would have to be Red. Fantasy would be Inuyasha. Horror, of course belongs to the movie "Another". It's too hard to pick just one out of hundreds or thousands that speak to us on a personal level. I think the only logical way to do it, is to go by genre.

3. Larae Pickell

Larae Pickell New Member

Reading your description for some reason reminded me of AeonFlux. To be honest I didn't quite get the movie but the description you gave just really reminded me of that movie.

4. Larae Pickell

Larae Pickell New Member

You're welcome! As I said, I didn't quite understand the movie but if you enjoy it than I'm very glad I mentioned it!

5. My favorite movie has always been Gone With The Wind. I saw it for the first time when I was maybe seven years old, and I sat and watched all 3.5 hours without getting fidgety or restless. I think the reason why it has remained my favorite throughout my life (I'm 26 now and nothing has ever even come close to challenging it) is because it is larger than life and cannot truly be confined to any one genre. I'm in the mood for romance? Watch Gone With The Wind. I'm in the mood for war or adventure? Watch Gone With The Wind. I'm in the mood for a period piece? Watch Gone With The Wind. I'm in the mood for something visually striking? Watch Gone With The Wind.

Also, because I watched it so young, it became part of me in a way that nothing else really has. The adventure, the romance, the social commentary, the comedy, the unforgettable characters....I just expected every single movie I'd ever watch to be like that and so far, none have been!

6. Petar Petrov

Petar Petrov New Member

I would have to say that my favorite movie is 300. I have seen it many times and I never get tired of it. I love anything that has to do with medieval warfare or any kind of sword fighting. I liked the way the movie looked in terms of effects and colors the designers chose. The movie looked very gloomy and the sun blotted out. That added to the movie and made it feel mystical. The story was also very intriguing and battles were amazing. Anyone who likes Historical Action Movies will not be disappointed.

7. CharlieBanks

CharlieBanks New Member

My favorite movie is Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. It is one of those movies one can watch time and time again. The movie has everything. It has emotion, character development, amazing special effects, and the perfect ending to a legendary trilogy. Even the soundtrack was near perfection throughout the movie. The Return of the King is what all mythology movies should strive for. It is the epic large-scale battles and the fight scenes involving the movies heroes. The concept of good vs evil is portrayed throughout the entire trilogy; this makes it hard for the view not to support Frodo and his companions. Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf, Gimli, and the rest of the band are willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice for Frodo at the end of the movie. Despite all the obstacles against Frodo, he manages to drop the ring into mount doom and destroy the orcs before they can kill his friends and the race of men. This miracle gives the audience a happy ending to be proud of, and might even leave one with a warm feeling of comfort.

8. uberlisa

uberlisa New Member

I have many favorite movies, of course. The Princess Bride has always been one of my absolute favorites (and definitely one of the most quotable) due to the alternating episodes of "true love and high adventure." I drive my husband crazy when we watch it, as I am constantly quoting the movie as it progresses. It's just become such a habit since my days in college, and I'm not sure there's an "off" button on this tendency to spout out quotes along with characters. I love the movie The Crow as well, primarily because of the underlying theme, "It can't rain all the time," and due to the relationships involved with the primary characters. I've always liked comic book themed movies, and this one caught my interest and respect early on...it always reminds me of my high school days since I became such a big fan early on. When we lost the talent of Brandon Lee in the first of The Crow movies, that gained the picture much more respect from me in general, as it was his last film. The final movie I'll list here under my favorite category is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. If you don't really get British humor, maybe you won't find this movie all that humorous. As for me, my husband and my father-in-law...we all find this movie hilarious. I've found out it's another movie that's easy to quote...and I tend to use quotes from this movie in my everyday conversations with my husband without even realizing it. While I don't think most of the funny points in this movie are safe enough to quote here on this site, I would highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys British comedy. Monty Python movies are always instant classics, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  9. nancy778

nancy778 New Member

My favourite movie...i have to say it's Sid and Nancy.Ive always loved that movie .Purely because it is based in a true story about two very odd people who loved each other.The reason why i like it so much is because when i was younger i loved The Sex Pistols and as the movie is based on Sid Vicious and his girlfriend ,Nancy,i just took a liking to it.It's not a very good production in my opinion,but the actors make it up.

10. knoonz

knoonz New Member

I love Amelie, a french move that was released in the US around the year 2000. It's a beautiful love story with a lot of strange humor. The art direction in particular is beautiful and engaging, and it appeals to every aspect of my personal taste.

My second favorite movie is The Royal Tenenbaums. Fun fact: when my husband and I first met, we discovered that both of my favorite movies were also in his top five. What was also on both of our lists? High Fidelity, which is a movie about people making lists of their favorite songs of a certain genre or theme.

11. Lightspeed1

Lightspeed1 New Member

Even though its super confusing, I really like Suicide Club. Its super trippy and can be a little confusing, but after reading through some interpretations of other people, it makes more sense.

12. Andrea Stafford

Andrea Stafford New Member

The emotions the movie gives me is what makes it a favorite. If I absolutely had to choose one, it would be Dirty Dancing. Cliché, yes, but Dirty Dancing still the same. The good girl, bad boy combo and him coming back for her in the end when she's so heartbroken. But there are other movies that I've watched so many times I can quote most of the dialogue. Those include a lot of comedy, such as Hitch, Ghostbusters, My Cousin Vinny, and some action like Fast and Furious and Transporter.

13. whoisduley

whoisduley New Member

My favorite movie is The Departed. It's the movie that got me into becoming a film buff in the first place. There's a great ensemble cast, an excellent screenplay, and Martin Scorsese's style of rock and roll film making that makes it a thrilling watch.
    It's a remake of the Chinese film Infernal Affairs. Personally, I like the remake better because of the actors and Scorsese but there are quite a few people who would beg to differ!