Why you should read books

Discussion in 'Books' started by efulm5212, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jhonuarin03

jhonuarin03 Member

One of the biggest reasons why we read books is to gain knowledge. Books are a rich source of information. Reading books on varied subjects imparts information and increases the depth about the subject as well. Whenever you read a book, you learn a new information that otherwise would not have known.

2. justmegwapo

justmegwapo New Member

BOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

3. maypal

maypal Member

Why I should read books? simply becuase I wanted to gain more knowledge and expand my vocabulary capacity. Reading books is just like a pokemon game when you level up you gain more experience and that experience serves as the knowledge that we apply when we level up as long as it's leveling our experience keeps on existing and we need to enchance it to become succesful in life. The important thing in reading books is time. You need to exert more time in reading books so you can also expand the capacity of your brain.

4. ghenzua

ghenzua New Member

Reading books enhances your conversational aptitudes. Since reading expands your vocabulary and your insight into how to accurately utilize new words, perusing causes you obviously verbalize what you need to state. ... Their discussion has a tendency to be profound, and it influences me to smile when minimal ones utilize extravagant words they found in a book. Although it doesn’t always make you a better communicator, those who read tend to have a more varied range of words to express how they feel and to get their point across. This increases exponentially with the more volumes you consume, giving you a higher level of vocabulary to use in everyday life.

5. mythalot

mythalot New Member

Well books are kinda important. They ultimately teach you about life. So much knowledge are contained that book. Reading them allows you to look at life in another way. Life is contained in that book. Books allow for one to experience anything from words or pictures without experiencing them in in real life. Books probably make you smarter from gather and understanding the books you read. Books are like finding the last puzzle piece in a yard full of puzzle pieces that all look alike but when you complete the puzzle you finally understand something.

6. jean_necesario

jean_necesario New Member

Reading books has its benefits, it can help you to enhance your vocabulary, essay compositions, and imagination. And in my opinion, nothing is written in the books that can harm our minds, unlike browsing the internet, there are a lot of disadvantages that we can encounter.

7. anaclettejulia

anaclettejulia New Member

Reading fulfills all those purposes and more. It is more than a form of entertainment or education. It is a means of living a meaningful, fun life.

There are the benefits which science has illuminated. Reading is said to stave off dementia, reduce stress and improve analytical skills. There are practical benefits. Reading can be done almost anywhere, special formats (audio books, braille, large print etc) make it accessible to most of us) and books are cheap, if not free. Yetanyone who loves books knows that the positive facets are not something which can be quantified.

Here are some of the reasons why I am such a vocal advocate for reading:

Reading is a form of training for living.
    Books teach us how to think, how to relate to people, what to do, who we are and who we should be. For the most part, they teach us how to live. And as EE Cummings put it, nothing is as difficult as that. I have yet to meet anyone who does not flounder when it comes to figuring out what they want to do with their lives. Or who they are. Or who they want to be. We all need guidance and books have a unique knack for providing it.

Books enable us to garner more experience and knowledge than it would be possible to accumulate in a lifetime. We can learn from the mistakes and successes of others, applying their wisdom to our lives. As W. Somerset Maugham wrote: ‘To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.’

The knowledge we gain from books has a curious tendency to compound over time.

With each volume completed, a mixture of words, images, concepts, ideas, beliefs and perspectives is integrated into what we already know. Connections form, making this even more valuable. The more we read, the more links we form and the richer our understanding becomes. I like to read as widely as possible to enhance this – philosophy, psychology, science, economics, business, fiction, essay collections, classics, manuals, guidebooks and more. Through careful practice, it becomes possible to draw links between disparate books, meshing ideas together to create new ones.

This practice is not only useful for those of us who write for a living. Everyone can benefit from it. Remember, this is about learning to live and growing as a person. Encoding what resonates with us in our memories creates a unique resource to refer to in any situation. No one can take this away. It is there for life. No matter what.

A beautiful explanation of why reading is so valuable comes from Rebecca Solnit:

‘The object we call a book is not the real book, but its potential, like a musical score or seed. It exists fully only in the act of being read; and its real home is inside the head of the reader, where the symphony resounds, the seed germinates. A book is a heart that only beats in the chest of another.’

Reading can shake up our world view.
    I memorably experienced sudden paradigm shifts in my awareness of cultural relativism whilst reading Don’t Sleep, There are Snakes and Memoirs of a Geisha. My understanding of my purpose in life changed after Meditations and On Writing. My comprehension of human behavior altered after Practical Ethics and The 48 Laws of Power. The way I work was forever transformed by Deep Work, Anything You Want and Small is the New Big. Other books have changed everything for different reasons. Our favorite books serve as mentors, guiding our progress.

Reading requires a degree of focus which is unusual in the era of 9-second videos and tweets.
    To complete a lengthy, complex or challenging book requires a degree of self-discipline. It is not easy to multi-task whilst reading (I do it at the gym but that’s as far as it goes.)

Reading can be a meditative process. When I sit down with a book, my mind first wanders off every few seconds to an incomplete task or commitment. I pull it back to the words on the page. After numerous repetitions, my mind clears and I can focus for hours. The capacity to hone in on a single, demanding activity for long periods of time is becoming unusual. It is also satisfying and rewarding. In almost any career, the ability to focus well is a valuable asset. My work as a writer necessitates the ability to concentrate on analyzing and interpreting information. This is not easy to do when my mind is scattered, so I am grateful for the practice I have gotten from reading.

8. Deign

Deign New Member

I wasn't sure if the title of the post was the meat of the question, and it was literally the whole question.

There are lots of good reasons to read books. The biggest, for me anyways, is that the best stories I have ever experienced were found between the covers of a good book. I am an avid fan of films and games, but the sense of immersion and depth I can obtain from a really good book has yet to be matched by any other media.

But you have to be able to visualize things. You have to taste the words and hear their voices.

The thing about reading stories is that you get to see the things in your own way. Part of the the whole journey, is how YOU see it. You can write a two page exposition on the appearance of a person, or a place. And everyone will see it a little differently. You get to take part in the story. Our hero looks the way you imagine them to look. It's YOUR hero. You get to see their thoughts and hear their words.

It's indirectly interactive media.

9. c.k.sarkar

c.k.sarkar New Member

bookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

10. Wikdfury1

Wikdfury1 New Member

You should read books to explore your mind and your abilities. There's a wealth of knowledge available to you that's free. Credentials cost money but knowledge is priceless. I enjoy reading mostly nonfiction books to explore my mind and expand my intellectual abilities. It is my goal to read 3 books, minimum, on every topic that I choose to become knowledgeable on. I find reading to be one of the most enjoyable and rewarding experiences in my life.

11. rubyhadoc

rubyhadoc New Member

Books are one of the things in life that never gets old, it is where you can learn a lot of things. It is true that you can goolge everything with our modern world today but the side notes are Google is just temporary and Books are forever in our life. We should read books because we can have insights from writers and we can compare to our own insights. It also one way of relieving stress, specially when we are thinking over something. It has many facts that will help and guide us in our daily life.

12. lastcloud_

lastcloud_ New Member

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.” This quote by Marcus Tullius Cicero tells us how books relate to us as human beings. Books contain information in which we gain knowledge from, and with this acquired knowledge are we able to share and impart with others. Reading books enhances our skills such as improving our vocabulary, making our ideas more creative, and reducing our stress. The desire to read is sometimes hindered by laziness. In the present generation, many of the younger population are more interested in watching movies where their creativity is not being fully developed and so we as readers must also encourage them to read books.

13. Jimhill_15

Jimhill_15 New Member

Well for me, books is very helpful for a person. We all know that when we read books, our stress relieves in short, books are stress reliever. It makes us calm and make your mind clear because your focusing on what you are reading rather than thinking the negative thoughts that makes you stress. Books can enhance your reading skills, vocabulary, and your english speaking.

14. Jy.M

Jy.M New Member

Reading for me is one of the most beneficial and feasible activities that a man can do. It is through reading that a person is going to be able to discover new ideas, concepts, places, and people. Some people even describe reading as a journey that starts as the opening of a page, and finishes as the last page is turned. The reason why reading is so important is because reading is relaxing to our mind and soul; it is a our way to reach out to the world, and it improves our thinking process.

15. eroldlapore

eroldlapore New Member

Why you should read books? We should read books because it develops our mind. It broadens our vocabulary, knowledge and improves our memory. Reading stimulates our brain, our imagination which in turn makes us more creative and focused. It also improves our conversational and writing skills because we are learning proper grammars, spelling and punctuation. One of the main benefits of reading is it gives different perspective to life; we are open to the ideas from other people that can influence our way of thinking.

Reading books is a great a hobby to pass time and also a good stress reliever.

16. geraldleah

geraldleah New Member

Why should we read books?

The following are the essential answer why we should read our books.

1. You gain a lot of experience in a short time

Most of the time you want to read a book that was written by someone who’s had a meaningful experience because he can teach you stuff that you don’t know.
    The biggest advantage when you read a book is that you can pick up many years of experience just by reading a single book in a week so you’re saving yourself a lot of time, effort and potentially money just by learning from others’ experience. This means you can avoid their mistakes and follow their advice since they have already achieved what you want to do.
    2. You can solve problems more easily
    We all have our problems but guess what ? Other people have already figured it out. Reading books can greatly help you to solve your own problems. There’s a book for almost anything now.
    You want to get rich ? No problem. You want to develop yourself ? There are plenty of books to help you. You want to learn how to cook ? Plenty to choose from.
    In a nutshell, reading a lot of books will help you solve problems because you have an already laid out plan that was created by someone who has faced the same problem before.
    3. You learn from real-world experience
    You know how we learn a ton of stuff in school and university but we never really use that in real life ? That’s exactly the opposite with books. The good thing is that you get the real stuff. You can learn lessons from real people who tell you how you can do what you want to do without the unnecessary nonsense that you see in formal education.
    In other words, you strictly get the information that you need, not some abstract theories.
    4. You become more knowledgeable
    That’s not a surprise. You read books so you know more stuff, it makes sense. Becoming more knowledgeable can help you become a more interesting person and a better conversationalist since you can talk about a wide variety of topics.
    It also helps to know more stuff because you’ll face small challenges every day. Having basic insights about social skills, self-help or even finance can help you deal with whatever life throws at you.

17. Ednadhet

Ednadhet New Member

We should read books to add learnings and shares the good things for those who haven't do it yet. Books have important roles in our daily life, it gives us different meaning, perspective, additional knowledge and more which helps us improve our capacity as human being. Books that we read should be applied in good way and shared to everyone that would develops them to be a better individual.

18. Julian8207

Julian8207 New Member

Every person should read books because they help to improve your imagination and make you smarter. Unfortunately we live in 21 century . Most people including myself like to consumate information by the easy way . I mean watching tv and use internet all day .

19. skyintern

skyintern New Member

Hello everyone!

As a young child I used to read a lot of books, mostly fiction and some technical books my dad left around in the office.

At the time, it helped me coming across some loneliness, we lived far from town, there was no internet and Tv was probably even more boring than today.

I noticed later in life, particularly in professional environment, that I made more use of creativity and my own cognition to resolve problems than most people that were simply looking for instructions or guidance from someone who could deliver.

The point is, I guess, books, even in the most detailed ones, you can always imagine another tone for the blue car that the author talks about, or the penthouse facing the sun in a warm white sandy beach, that you dream with.

In the end the story you read is going to be the story you imagined with the authors guidance and not some pre-made ready to consume information.

I believe if you can read you will have more confidence to follow your own decisions and determinations! What do you guys think?

20. For me reading books feeds my brain with knowledge and information that will improve my skills. I love reading books such as science books and also novels one of my favorite novel is the Harry Poter Series, the Hunger Games trilogy and the Lord of the rings.

I also appreciate other books regarding any subject such as medical, magazine, art etc.

21. Lady_Seah

Lady_Seah New Member

Reading feeds your mind. You can't study in a school, learn a lesson or review for your exam without even reading a single book. Reading books can also be a form of hobby, like reading novels of your favorite authors. You can read books about the autobiography of the others which can inspire you. If you want to cook a food but don't know how recipe book is just the right thing. If you want to be entertained then read comic books. It's just a matter of interest of what genre of literature you like.

I just hope a book doesn't look like this.

[​IMG]

22. MikeLong

MikeLong New Member

I believe that you should read books in order to learn and grow in life. It's by constantly learning that we evolve and become better versions of ourselves. It's a fact that we're always learning and that allows us to grow in life and to have access to better opportunities as we move along.

23. c.k.sarkar

c.k.sarkar New Member

For human being it is not possible to memorize all the thing in the brain, so by keeping these in view book has been made . so, we can store all the data in the book because when a boy or girl took birth they don't need to consult with anyone they need to do is simple have to gone through book. that's what a child send to the school for learning.
    these is the reality of book.
    my point of views on the book is book is a key to get knowledge which make us to be get settle in the career and lead a better feature

24. crosario

crosario New Member

Book is a very powerful tool. It is is one best way to learn life because it can lead you to different possibilities. Books are used for learning from the very beginning. It can make you understand different things and make you think beyond your imagination. Books can lead you to different places you had never been. It also contains a person's life stories and use to preserve a nation's histories.

25. aaren25

aaren25 New Member

everyone should read a book, because knowledge is the only treasure that no man can take away from us. it is something that we will bring until we are old and gray. books are very important, without them we wouldn't learn how to read. reading books gives us the feeling of wonder and allow us to play with our own imaginations.

26. crosario

crosario New Member

Book is a very powerful tool. It is is one best way to learn life because it can lead you to different possibilities. Books are used for learning from the very beginning. It can make you understand different things and make you think beyond your imagination. Books can lead you to different places you had never been. It also contains a person's life stories and use to preserve a nation's histories.

27. LJquimpo

LJquimpo New Member

There are a lot of benefits in reading books but the more bigger and important questions is what kind of books. This is because there are millions of books out there and that is millions of information. We should also have the ability and skill to research what kind of books we need to have a positive impacts in our lives. This is different for every people because all of us are in different stages of our lives. Example of this is for students, of course they should read more about there current courses and subjects to be more effective. Another example is for business owners, it is also apparent that they will read more books about business, accounting, management and the likes. But overall, reading books is a great way to learn and improve our current state of living.

28. SunnyDaisies

SunnyDaisies New Member

We eat because we want to be full, right? Same way as reading, we read because we want our minds to be full, to be satisfied, to fulfill the cravings of the thoughts. Without food or fuel, we feel weak, we cannot think properly and our body seems to be tired. So with reading, it is something that gives value to yourself, because it is essential, it is a need for you to function, to move and to grow. It is a way for us to move forward, reading is our foundation in order to step up and reach higher for our dreams. Reading gives us a broad perspective up above the steps that we are taking higher. We need to read books because we want our minds to prosper, we want to be prosperous to make our dreams happen.

29. jeremiahogaga

jeremiahogaga Member

Reading books are very essential for gaining knowledge. It contains some secrets about life that most people are not even aware of. Quality books tends to add virtues to one's life.

30. Jerrysimeon

Jerrysimeon New Member

The reason why I read books is because reading activates, motivates and inspire your brain and makes it active