Working out - Home or Gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Kori, Jul 24, 2016.

1. crisandra.bruno

crisandra.bruno New Member

My small apartment in China is near a very much frequented gym. Every time I see people enter this gym, the thoughts that ran through my head were, "why do I have to spend money to exercise when I can do it at home for free." I exercise at home following some programs doled out by online trainers. Most of the time, I just do my own routine while watching my favorite Korean drama.

2. Ichoosejoy

Ichoosejoy New Member

I have to say I am in the "working out at home" camp. I live too far from the gym for one thing. But I also just prefer the privacy of my own home. I like to make a list of the exercises or workouts that look like they fit my targeted area I want to work on (ie: abs, arms, etc.) Then when I am ready I just pull it up & it's ready for me to follow along. I also enjoy finding various videos on YouTube. If my kids are awake, YouTube is fun for them to workout with me. If not, it's my Pinterest list.

3. Willy1984

Willy1984 Member

In my opinion, many people enjoy the privacy of training in their own home gym. There is no wait to use a machine and they can play whatever music they want- and it's open 24/7. But some enjoy the social atmosphere and variety at a gym.

4. Jmag35

Jmag35 New Member

It really depends on your lifestyle. If you have children then adding the extra time of going to the gym would probably mean going a lot less and you’re more likely to actually fit a workout in at home. For others actually going to a gym and having other around is the extra push you need to complete a good workout. You really need to find what works best for you, so try both and see what you have more success with.

5. zgifford

zgifford New Member

Globo Gyms are nice as they don't require much thought and you can get in and get out without much hassle. However, if you have the money and space to get some quality equipment (barbells, dumbells and such) then I definitely think a home gym is the way to go.

6. jeremiahogaga

jeremiahogaga Member

Home workouts are good to start with, for a beginner trying to build up some muscles. Common home workouts like pushups and pull ups can help to strengthen the chest, back, triceps and biceps. Thereafter you may consider using the gym for greater intensity.

7. AteroidInOrbit

AteroidInOrbit New Member

I prefer working out at home or going to the park for a walk and light exercise. I am planning on going to the gym eventually since I've found being in a productive environment where everyone is working towards the same goal helps boost my motivation.

8. Therese16

Therese16 New Member

I feel comfortable working out at home. I lost almost 60 pounds by working out at home. I’m more disciplined to work out when I’m at home because I don’t feel pressure and it makes me comfortable in doing the exercise I want to do. You can focus more on yourself if you’re at home, you can wear anything you want and just focus on sweating. The best part of working out at home is you don’t need gym fees and you don’t need to travel. All it takes is just a little bit of research and find what exercise you can do at home that makes you comfortable then try to do it if it works. At the end of the day, it’s all about preference. Try to work out at the gym and at home then compare the pros and cons so you can decide for yourself.

9. khadra

khadra New Member

• I prefer working home even thoue I don't have the great and many machine the gym has .I manage to watch exercise video on YouTube and act on it . if you can you buy a ruuning machine it would be beteer though. cause I the kind of person who don't feel like going out that much and I don't like people stairing on me or judge me.

10. Fenrir

Fenrir New Member

I prefer the gym. It would be very hard to get the same workout at home, as the gym has all the necessary equipment. It is not impossible to workout at home, but the gym makes it much easier.

11. tip2x

tip2x New Member

Working out in a gym. Going outside can expand your boundary.Working out outside, you can meet new friends. You can also ask people some tips whether its workout routines or diet tips. In Gym, there are many varieties of equipment that can you help you for example: workout variety for you back, chest, shoulder ,or legs. If you choose to workout at home, your resources are limited.

12. SpaceReal

SpaceReal New Member

In my opinion, any good exercise, an exercise that challenges you, is a a valid exercise.
    A gym may have more options, specially if you like weight training, but if you enjoy cardio and would like to explore body-weight training, just get a pull-up bar and do everything at home.

Gyms may give you a bit of a psychological boost, since everyone there is trying their hardest.
    But if you're a shy person, and prefer staying in, home workout works perfectly. It also saves you time and money, if you can do without the vast array of equipment that a gym offers.

In the end, it really depends on your preferences and what time of work out you'd rather do.

For me, I'm a mix, because I do a lot of weight training together with body-weight, some days I need access to the gym, others I can stay home and do a full routine.

13. a_navor

a_navor New Member

I find it convenient to work out in my own space. It is more practical also since I will not pay for any membership fee.

14. Matt10222

Matt10222 New Member

I have worked out both at home and at a gym and in my honest opinion, i definitely prefer working out at a gym . When working out at home, i find that i struggle to focus on my workout without either giving up too early or losing motivation(considering that my PC is in juts the other room , i find it a bit difficult to really focus in on my workout) .

15. meekhil

meekhil New Member

Personally, I prefer to work out at a gym where there are available fitness trainers and your are surrounded by other people who are also motivated to work out. I also like having a wide variety of exercise equipment at my disposal, as well as sufficient space for working out.
    I have tried working out at home, but I just end getting distracted by so many things, like the TV or my bed.
    But in the end, I believe in doing what works best for you.

16. Marian0302

Marian0302 New Member

If you are a person with a lot of budget to go to gym well you should prefer gym, because almost all the equipment for a better work out is there, you can choose what kind of exercising materials would you like to use. But, if you are a person who's saving, you should prefer home work out. You can still exercise/workout but your equipment is not unlimited.

17. Bianca616

Bianca616 New Member

I personally like to work out at home. Not only do I save money, but I am able to become more creative with my workouts and perhaps try things I wouldn't do in a gym. Even though I prefer to be at home, sometimes my motivation is not as strong as it could be. If I attended a gym, there is the potential for more motivation. Also, gyms tend to provide classes and a space where everyone is trying their best so the energy is very inviting. It really depends on what kind of person you are. If you like to be around people to pick up on their energy and also diversify your workout with different equipment, the gym is the place for you.

18. Mr. Friendly Trendz

Mr. Friendly Trendz New Member

What an interesting post there! For me, Just workout at both places and see which one you like better. If you like the gym then for all means go there and have intense workout. If working out at home motivates you and pushes you to your limit then workout at home. Just do whatever feels right for you body and you will meet your goals in no time.

19. travelingfortwo

travelingfortwo New Member

Working out is the best thing to start your day going. I prefer working out at home because I can simply access the internet and play some workout videos that could help me met my goals. There are many workout channel that teaches unlimited ways for you to select and try for example you want to focus on your belly, just go for a search specific things you want to apply. Basically, internet is your number one tool if you workout at home.
    Either you prefer home workout or gym workout the important is you are happy what you are doing because wherever you workout it doesn't matter to a person who are determined.

20. SupermanSA

SupermanSA New Member

I used to work out at home but I've found out that at home I get not to be serious about what I'm doing I end up doing thing Of the house so I decided to go to gym from there I get the feeling that I'm here to work out only so I get the positive spirit as I see other people that have reached the stage I wanna reach