Would you prefer to read or listen to a book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frenchkissed2013, May 11, 2015.

1. pandara

pandara Member

I prefer to actually read my books. Reading the book forces me to read the words on the page and digest them to know what's going on. I have to be 100% concentrated on actually reading the book when I am reading. When I've attempted listening to audiobooks, I'm either bored and fall alseep or I miss parts.If I try to multitask and do other things while I listen, I miss parts of the story because I'm splitting my attention between two things.

2. Fartytester21

Fartytester21 Member

Reading of course, tried listening but didn't find it interesting (sorry for the listeners, just my honest thought). Reading or listening is the same I guess it depends on what you enjoy the most. Keep up writing great posts!

3. DreddZ

DreddZ New Member

As for me, I still prefers reading books. I haven't tried listening to audio books but I'm open to it.

Reading is a stress reliever for me. It's an exciting thing that happens when I get to be somewhere through reading. I get to meet and imagine every characters. In fact, I like reading about people and places that sometimes I would like to prefer it over watching it in movies. There are always drastic changes whenever that happens.

Reading for me is something that's very exciting. It's a way for me to go out from the reality of the world that you live in and get to be somewhere else at the comfort of your home.

4. Marcosdc

Marcosdc Member

You have much more to learn if you read, because you have the time to look on references or dictionary when you encounter words that's not familiar to you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Viridia

Viridia New Member

I prefer to read my books rather than listening to them. I've tried listening, but I always end up distracted by the reader's voice for some reason. I do enjoy a good podcast or audio drama, though!

6. DTLee

DTLee New Member

There's just something about having that book in my hands, turning the pages at my own pace, and being able to go back a few chapters and re-read a section to help with the context of the latest plot twist. Audiobooks work okay for me for self-help and motivational books, but I'm a reader when it comes to a good piece of fiction.

1 person likes this.
  7. maoumaou

maoumaou New Member

I prefer reading books... Once I tried the audiobook of When World falls in the river of Love :rolling: I woke up the next day so yeah lesson learned. But don't judge that book because it is so nice, the story is so fluffy! :D And also when you read a book you can feel lots of emotion, you can imagine the scene while reading, you can feel the pages and most of all you can smell the books! You know new books smell so nice and old book smells so classic so vintage! And should I also say that when you're near the end of the book, you gotta be torn from reading it faster to know the ending or slow down so you can still savor the last bit of that book... it's not only me feeling like this, right?:oops:

8. Seriphif

Seriphif Member

I prefer audio books I have fifty million other things to do, but I still must be entertained. I love the freedom of audio books, not being tied down to one spot, not having my hands occupied or clean for that matter. As for keeping your own pace some sites have a speed setting, I listen to all my books at 1.25 to 1.5 times the speed.
    Most people's real problem is that they can not pay attention, can't follow spoken word or direction. I think audio books help train your listening skills as well as your imagination. Most people can read but have issues listening isn't that one of the biggest problems in this world.

9. Rooneey

Rooneey Member

I prefer reading a book rather than listening. If i dont understand what i'm reading i can read it again. Reading a book sometimes make me imagine how the characters feel. It gives me emotion everytime i read a book.

1 person likes this.
  10. romilda

romilda Member

I prefer to read books rather than listen because i can easily picture and understand the contents by reading.

1 person likes this.
  11. Richy1

Richy1 New Member

I prefer reading book than reading, because in reading you are going through some process which make you catch up with the book. Which scanning, skimming e.t.c.

12. jsvillacreces

jsvillacreces New Member

Read books. I can take my time. I can imagine the voices, the situations, the respectives dialogues (if its a novel). There is a lost art on reading books. Some of the audiobooks out there are straightfoward and direct.

13. nikiii23

nikiii23 New Member

Read definitely because it is I love to hold a book and feel the pages.

14. Babysj

Babysj New Member

I still prefer reading books that listening to it, aside from it can help you better understand the content it will also help your reading skill.

15. Georgeliner

Georgeliner Member

In my perception i prefer to read a book.Reading a book makes refresh my mind,content that i read sticks to my brain.Finally,reading is my hobby.I advise people to read books ,to have a reading culture.

16. Loopdan

Loopdan New Member

For me the same, I read books and listen also. Because listening is learning like from the Preacher while reading is also learning and gathering knowledge.

17. JMae372

JMae372 Member

For me I prefer reading rather than listening. Through listening, there are some words that I can't understand that I'd even open a subtitle if there is one, so I prefer reading because at least I can read the word clearly. I tried listening to one, but instead of trying to understand and listen I was getting a bit bored and within just a minute I started to doze off

18. maryt63

maryt63 New Member

I love reading a book it's great but when i go on a hike it is great to get lost in a good audio book

19. jjhanlyn

jjhanlyn New Member

For me I prefer reading a book, It expands my knowledge and imaginations. It expands my knowledge by reading new words that i never encounter. Though audio book is nice too because it's more easy and you listen even in dark places.

20. calebkaylix

calebkaylix New Member

I prefer reading to listening. For listening, the reader might be goingat a higher speed and therefore you end up missing parts of the story. I prefer reading because you decide on the pace you want to go with.

21. lilshasha

lilshasha New Member

For me, I prefer to read books rather than to listen. I guess I am not good at listening. If I listen to an audio or voice over, I might be misinterpret the audio or I couldn't understand clearly. However, when I read books on my own I can easily understand. If I also dont understand the words, I can search it in the dictionary. It is better to read books than to listen

22. merci

merci New Member

Yes, I love to read a book especially my interest like recipe books, story telling, secret to be success and etc. In reading helps us stimulate our mental capability, stress reduction, knowledge, stronger analytical skills and expanded our vocabulary and memory improvement.

23. Geofrey93

Geofrey93 Member

I prefer Reading. With reading , if an individual gets distracted, they can come back to the words, and read over the concept again easily. In this aspect, reading is definitely better for retention and comprehension.

24. evequicho

evequicho Member

I loved reading books than listening to audio books because I gain a lot more such as word recognition and correct spelling. But, I guess it depends on the kind of books and your purpose. If it has been a story book, I would want to listen to it. I remembered during my childhood years, we had here in the Philippines what we call as " Lola Basyang ". She resembled like a grandmother who always read stories to children. She would tell the story mostly magical in nature with moral values at the end.

25. claraysabel

claraysabel New Member

There's just something beautiful about physically reading a book. The experience just doesn't compare with listening to audio books.

26. cristy21

cristy21 New Member

Since listening to anything for so long irritates me, I prefer to read book , I think reading books boost my imaginative skills, because when you read you actually imagine things ,imagine the setting of the story and the people in the story. And somehow I do have my control on how do i understand and imagine it.One of the biggest reasons why we read books is to gain knowledge. Books are a rich source of information.

27. MonicaKosgey

MonicaKosgey New Member

Reading books has its own allure. I like having a book in my hand and reading away during my free time or specific times I've set aside for reading. But in this busy world I came to prefer listening to audiobooks. it helps that I can multitask by listening to the audiobook as I engage in other activities.

28. jm32913

jm32913 New Member

For me i prefer to listen than to reading, i found out myself that im much interested to listen

29. ranerii10

ranerii10 Member

I prefer both reading and listening, it will boost your teaching and at the same active listening. you will learn a lot from these things. you will understand how to read and listen. develop your skills and knowledge, increase verbal and writing skills. both has advantages for me.

30. flake

flake New Member

i really like to listen to good audio book,but theres nothing like you reading and make your acting of the story