Would you prefer to read or listen to a book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frenchkissed2013, May 11, 2015.

1. aycee21

aycee21 New Member

I prefer reading books than listening to it. I think for me I understand it better if I read it.

2. marcbarredo13

marcbarredo13 Member

They have different benefits, reading will sometimes helps you fall asleep and sleep deeper if you read at night. It can also help boost your english communication skills while listening can also helps you process what you listen and it is easier to understand than reading,

3. janaya24

janaya24 New Member

I prefer reading a book than to listen to it. I felt the connection more when I am the one reading the book. I love to recall the exciting parts and read it all over again. When you listen to it, there might be some important part that you might miss compared when you are the one reading. It will also help your vocabulary and everything about your grammar. The best part about reading is enjoying the peace and calmness of the moment and focus on the book.

4. BigEyes

BigEyes Member

I prefer reading a book so I can understand everything what I read.And I love reading.

5. Etaypink1

Etaypink1 Active Member

There is no doubt for me I prefer reading books rather than listening to them. In the other hand, if you read a book, you feel what you see, your understanding about it based on your own ideology and mind and it would not be influenced by any other person.

1 person likes this.
  6. janeabiquibil

janeabiquibil New Member

Reading the book it is. Reading actually gives me time to recollect the context of what I’m reading and it gives me more time to imagine what really is going on.

7. KostaP5

KostaP5 New Member

Reading a book is like going into another dimension, while listening to it will not submerge you into the story, writer intended for you to experience using your own imagination, read by our own words, not by someone else.

8. spiderplant

spiderplant New Member

I prefer reading books to listening to them, because I have auditory processing disorder and often have trouble understanding what people are saying, especially if I can't see their mouths moving. Audiobooks also go at a much slower pace than the pace of my reading, so it can feel frustratingly slow to listen to them.

1 person likes this.
  9. scarletwitch888

scarletwitch888 New Member

I love reading book. You create a world that only you can see. It tickles your mind to read and explore more. Reading is the food of the brain.

10. Malyn16

Malyn16 New Member

I like any kinds of books but once i start reading it i fall asleep so my husband introduce me with this audiobooks but when i started hearing it i coudnt understand all tge words so i prepare to read the book while listening to audiobook. How funny it is.. But most importantly i don't fall asleep

11. bach26

bach26 New Member

Reading a physical book and listeningto the audiobook are two different paths that lead to the same destination. Each creates differing experiences and memories, but neither is better or worse than the other. There's a fair amount of research on the subject of comprehension in audiobooks vs reading.

12. nunox33

nunox33 New Member

I prefer to read books than listen to them, the reason is while I read the book I make the story and the characters in it from my imagination, shape them in my own way to understand them better. That is how I make my own deductions about the book. Listening is not typical for me maybe it is more easy, but either way, you'll only find out about the story from someone else's perspective not your own.

13. Doraymon17

Doraymon17 New Member

I prefer reading books, i like the smell, and the process of turning a page, waiting for the moment that happens next, nothing beats holding a book in your hand and flipping the next page.

14. John213

John213 New Member

I prefer reading a book because I can really get into the story that I am reading and it is not like listening to a book that can sometimes pronounce some words differently. Reading a book can increase your imagination, vocabulary, and best of all your patience. So in over all it is better to read a book for me rarher that listen to it.

15. Nicky71

Nicky71 New Member

16. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

I chose to read. It's when you truly the story that you appreciate what it is all about. As you start reading, you gradually get into it. Your imagination soon gives you a picture of what you are reading. That's the joy of it.

17. yuvo

yuvo New Member

definitely listening to books i mean cmon in 2019 i better be able to go to the gym while listening to the almighty joe rogan

18. Catutzy

Catutzy New Member

Without discussion, I like to read!
    I like the smell of printed paper :))

19. beckertani

beckertani Member

I usually listen to audio books so that I can sleep. I have hard time falling asleep and I'm jealous with people who can sleep right away just by lying in bed for a few minutes.

20. Serdiek

Serdiek Member

Reading is more advisable than listening of the books.

Because reading will improve your vocabulary

21. JesReen

JesReen Member

Eveeyone enjoys listening to music. And when we listen to it constantly we can easily memorize the lyrics. But for me, reading a book is different. Because if you read it with your eyes comes with reading with your mouth, you’ll have a better understanding with what you are reading. Your brain takes time to analyze what the eyes are seeing. But probably for audio learners, they prefer listening to a book. And also, the word reading comes with a book right? Logically speaking, when we use reading in a sentence, most often we choose the word book for it. Thus reading a book for me

22. roserosee

roserosee New Member

I would prefer reading the text rather than listening to it simply because I believe your perception of a piece of writing depends on how you look over it. I am in no way an expert to the English language and because of this, I enjoy going over texts in my own pace to suffice my own understanding of it.
    Though I have tried listening to audiobooks in the past to try and adapt to it, the experience was fine but it was not worthwhile. I'd find myself going back and forth to portions I didn't fully understand and just jumbles up the information rather than making a cohesive view.

23. Felx

Felx New Member

Reading a physical book and listening to the audiobook are two different paths that lead to the same destination. Each creates differing experiences and memories, but neither is better or worse than the other. There's a fair amount of research on the subject of comprehension in audiobooks vs reading.

24. Icyflame

Icyflame New Member

Both ways are very pleasurable. I will read a book, but then when I have to go run an errand, I will listen to it in the car. I often reread books that I really like. I might read it the first time around, the listen to it the second time.

25. jadi125

jadi125 New Member

i would prefer to reading a book instead of listening beacuse reading a book is easy and u concentrate on all characters as well.I like to finish a book in 2 to 3 days. A comedy book is much more fitting.

26. Hakdog

Hakdog New Member

I prefer both. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I feel sleepy when listening to book and vice-versa. But overall, I still prefer reading since it trains my reading skills and comprehension. It also a way to engage to the book. Although listening is also fun but sometimes I just don't want the voice or accent of the one talking, compared when you're the one reading it.

27. ciestlavie

ciestlavie New Member

I haven't tried listening to an audio book so I'm not really one to say whether I prefer one thing over the other, but I'm gonna go with reading for now. I don't think my preference would change because I can set my own pace when it comes to reading and I have time to run the scenarios in my head. One problem I believe I would have when it comes to audio books is that my hearing ability's not that good so I'll probably have a hard time listening to them but it would still be worth a try.

28. aileenbcd

aileenbcd New Member

I have done both reading and listening. I prefer having the actual book right in front of me. Sitting on my favorite chair and drinking my favorite tea. Nothing can beat that. Then again, listening can be can be done too when trying to achieve a "me" time is not a possibility.

I remember working as a quality controller, and listening to these e-books has been my savior. It just made time go faster. My co workers were telling me that I smile a lot while doing my job. Thank God, I did not mess my work...hehe

I guess what's important is that we enjoy books whether we read or we listen. Reading really adds spice to life.

29. mimie125

mimie125 Member

I love books, like to read a lot. But I prefer to read the book for now. Although I am curious to listen to audio book, maybe sometimes i will try to listen to some audio book, thanks for your post.:thumbsup:

30. NellSeon

NellSeon New Member

I love books so when I heard about audio books I got interested and tried it, Alas it didn't really made the experience better for me. I find it a little too distracting, sometimes confusing, and a hassle to change the device so I could listen to books.