Would you prefer to read or listen to a book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frenchkissed2013, May 11, 2015.

1. artman201

artman201 New Member

I prefer actually reading a book compared to listening to an audio-book. I have difficulty with maintaining attention, so I need to look at whatever I want to attend to. If I listen to an audio-book, it tends to become background noise, as though I were listening to music. However, when reading, all of my attention is focused on the words on the page.

2. jemsameya26

jemsameya26 New Member

Absolutely agree with you. I also prefer reading books compared to listening to an audio-book, it help us to devote our time providing quality management on how every words equipped in our minds. It is a way also for us to ponder every little details of the information on how we can contribute or how we test ourselves as a readers. Once installed in our mind we will have a meaningful output and idea as well.

3. ClaireG

ClaireG Member

I choose to read a book instead of listening to it. I still prefer to read a book because that’s what I am doing since then. If I would have to choose, instead of listening to it why not watch it then because listening maybe good but the visual is way better. Unlike reading a book that you have to make your own visual and play with your imagination that’s what I really like. Books is part of my life and it makes me more as a person. I can learned from it and those learning will forever stay in me. The happiness it brings to me were priceless. I love reading stories that inspires me to write. I am a writer that thinks that I could turn my imagination into a single piece of mystery.

4. jajamon04

jajamon04 Member

I prefer reading the book rather than listening to the audio version of it. I may doze off if I listen to an audio clip for more than an hour.

5. lenlen

lenlen Member

I prefer to read a book than to listen to an audiobook. Reading helps me to understand better the ideas and practice my imagination. It also helps me to acquire new learning of things and my memory works well when I read something. It retains in my memory for a long time.

6. luvdamsel

luvdamsel New Member

I love listening

7. Todo123

Todo123 Member

Read.
    Another one of the benefits of reading books, especially fiction, is that it has been shown to increase empathy and emotional intelligence. One 2013 study found that participants who read just the first part or chapter of a story showed a noticeable increase in empathy one week later, while news readers showed a decrease. These findings may sound trivial, but they’re not; developing social tools such as empathy and emotional intelligence can lead to more (and more positive) human interaction, which in turn can lower stress levels—both of which are proved to help you live longer and healthier.
    -
    Brandon Specktor

1 person likes this.
  8. vincedprince

vincedprince Member

Mine was different. I prefer audio book while doing relaxing work and my mind will soar by listening to something while reading makes my mind fly away and not focusing to what I'm reading. I don't know maybe I have reading disorder.

9. pbraun

pbraun Member

I still prefer reading a book rather than listening to audio books. Although, now that I am quite busy, I see that having an audio book available can be convenient during long drives.

10. gcm2455

gcm2455 Member

I prefer to read because I can go back to parts that I want to digest. Reading gives me the chance to take my time and I won't be misled by homonyms because the words are in printed form. I can also pause my reading to contemplate on some points. My mind then can be activated.

11. Treveez

Treveez Member

For me it Reading a physical book and listening to the audiobook are two different paths that lead to the same destination. Each creates differing experiences and memories, but neither is better or worse than the other. There's a fair amount of research on the subject of comprehension in audiobooks vs reading.

12. Jjgumabs22

Jjgumabs22 New Member

I prefer reading. It makes me listen to my own inner voice, which is like having your own realm in a place you can’t own. It gives me the exciting feeling of knowing myself including the world of the story. Readjng, makes me focused, which listening can also contribute, yet it is a different scenario if you alone, you and your own voice, is the one being heard not by your ear but your mind and peaceful soul.

13. Hosseinyhas

Hosseinyhas Member

When I'm reading a book, I have total and complete control. If my attention wanders for a minute, I can turn back to the book and the words are right there where I left them. I can read a part over and over and over without anything more than my eyes and brain. If something sounds familiar and I think it's important to the plot, I can easily flip back and look for it, seeing everything at once.

When listening to a book, it doesn't stop instantly for me when I want it to. If I have to reread something, I have to press a certain button very carefully or I'll screw everything up and get lost. If I go back to look through the book but I have no idea what I'm looking for, I end up listening to the whole thing again. I'm a speed reader, and narrator's voices are painfully slow. In the time I could read an entire real book, the audiobook is still messing around in chapter twelve. I hate that. It's not my own secret place I can explore and love like the world of written words is.

Also—books! Wonderful, heavy, solid, good-smelling books! Books are better than movies, audiobooks, Nooks and Kindles! Those things are awesome and amazing, but they can't compare to books.

14. wanderstarr15

wanderstarr15 New Member

It depends. I would prefer to read a book when I want some time alone. When I feel like I needed to be on a different world, let my mind be off somewhere at least. I like to listen to music when I'm on a task. Sing a long while multi tasking. It kind of keeps me going.

15. diazvac

diazvac Member

If you are reading a book which has a very difficult material like calculations, reading a book provides an advantage because the individual can re-read and analyse how the calculation works. In school, especially math subjects, we need to take down notes in order to understand some of the computations. Listening to our teacher is not enough since we need some keywords that we need to remember.

16. yograj

yograj Member

Well, it depends upon the importance of the content.
    The content of some books is so important to us, that we want to digest each and every word of it.
    For example: (1) For a student, the textbook of some competitive exam; (2) For a doctor, the book on latest advances; (3) For a lawyer, the case file of a client.
    Here, reading is more helpful.
    However, on the other hand, the content of some books is not so crucial for us.
    For example: a story book or a news magazine.
    Here, listening will do.

17. jadi007

jadi007 New Member

I'm fan of reading a book because reading a book is always gives u real knowledge and also u don't miss anything.U can take your books anywhere. U only need to be serious yourself and in audio books firstly u need a quite place where u listen the book.
    U can read books whenever you want to read and reading a book is always special for me. I love reading books of the great leaders. Audio books are too expensive also and u had to do a lot of stuff before listen to a audio book so love reading.

18. Tinogreat

Tinogreat Member

Anytime am listening to audio book i always fell asleep. That is why i prefer reading the book not even with laptop or mobile phone but buying the book itself

19. livingboy

livingboy Member

I prefer listening than reading. Because everytime i read i get sleepy. On the other hand, when i'm listening it gets me more interested.

20. jamaicaAP

jamaicaAP New Member

I prefer reading books myself rather than listening to someone read it for me. Sometimes a scene in the book I'm reading grabs my attention and I like to repeat it so I can remember it well. It would be a hassle to repeat it while listening. Also, I like reading at my own pace. I sometimes don't read all the words, just skim through enough to understand. But there are really great books that I've read that I read word for word and still couldn't get enough of.

21. katemacam23

katemacam23 Member

Although more and more people own e-books, it seems safe to say that real books aren’t going anywhere yet. 88 persent of the Americans who read e-books continues to read printed ones as well. And while we’re all for the convenience of digital downloads and a lighter load, we can’t bring ourselves to part with the joy of a good, old-fashioned read.

22. CeeJeey

CeeJeey New Member

I prefer to read books, that's where I find my peace most the time. Reading helped me a lot in improving my grammar, spelling and vocabulary.

I find listening very helpful and interesting too. I once tried it when we were asked to read a book that I'm just not into. But I had to know what's in that book so I tried listening and although most of the time I'd sleep through it before I could finish a chapter or two it actually helped because at least I got familiarized on the contents of the book. I'd still recommend reading tho because the down side of that listening was that I didn't know how to spell the names of the characters,places, etc that was mentioned in that book.

Reading is better for me because to me it's like a "pause" button in life. When I read I concentrate on what I'm reading. It takes me to places and times without actually leaving. I also love the feel of a book in my hand, the familiar feeling of flipping the pages.

23. Aearh

Aearh New Member

I prefer to read. I am a visual learner. I tried to listen to an audio book before but I was distracted by the sound and voice of the narrator.

24. Alzack50

Alzack50 Member

Sometimes i learned things from listening than reading but i love reading too.

25. UnfazedBabi

UnfazedBabi New Member

Im my opinion audio books can be better in certain cases

26. denver26

denver26 New Member

For me I prefer to read. Why? it is beacuse I really love to read. Reading makes me comfortable and its my stress reliever. Books is like medicine to me , it is a cure for any problem for me.

27. mayimayi

mayimayi Member

I prefer reading books because the pace that you will finish the book depends on you. In listening to audio books, you really have to master your listening skills.

28. abentasal

abentasal New Member

I love books. So I would prefer reading them because I believe it to be more engaging. Why? Because it's not just a part of your brain that is working when you're reading an entire book. Such as your visual and auditory processes, comprehension, phonemic awareness, etc. And for me reading can really help with my memory, you know, its easier to remember things, and it helps a lot with your vocabulary as well. Reading can indeed improve your memory.
    You can lower your stress level by reading good books. Reading also enhances our imagination. Reading also gives us endless knowledge and accurate information.

29. dariusserolf

dariusserolf New Member

I would prefer to read because I can comprehend quickly than listening although in listen audio books you can feel that you have a communication with people which is the narrator but in reading you can make imagination out of what you read

30. Glydzelias

Glydzelias New Member

I love reading books. Originally, books were made to read and learn and I want it to stay just the way it was before with no audios or something.