Would you prefer to read or listen to a book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frenchkissed2013, May 11, 2015.

1. R3XXX

R3XXX New Member

Nowadays I find myself listening more to audio books than actually reading books. I have about an hour drive from home to work and that's when I usually listen. It's really convenient to be able to consume the book while also being able to do other things such as when I'm cleaning the house, preparing meals, or even in the shower when I'm preparing in the morning. For me it just all boils down to my time, I just don't have that much available time these days to sit and read a real book anymore.

2. sanjivmangaliag

sanjivmangaliag New Member

Reading a physical book and listening to the audiobook are two different paths that lead to the same destination. Each creates differing experiences and memories, but neither is better or worse than the other. There's a fair amount of research on the subject of comprehension in audiobooks vs reading.

3. thusi123qw

thusi123qw Member

I would prefer to read a book rather than listening,because that will help to increase my ability to read and improve my vocabulary as well,physically continuing a book on daily basis keeps you wondering,like what will happen next.So i would like to read a book myself than someone else telling me what happens.What do you people think?

4. Renjasram

Renjasram New Member

I would rather to read a book, by reading a book I can go through in detail what parts I find interesting and skip parts that aren't; also depending on the reader I may get or envision a misleading perception of an event.

5. Chaiya

Chaiya Member

It will really depend on the time and place and what type of learner you are. If you're outside at busy streets, would be best to listen to not hassle you on walking and looking at the book at the same time, whilst, if you're in a quiet place where you can sit and relax, best to read a book. Nothing beats the smell of the book, the pages turned and the tranquility of just doing that if the area permits it. Most important consideration is that if you are a visual and spatial learner or auditory learner. Because at the end of the day, the content and how it resonates with you that matters. How you were able to absorb it, was it through reading or listening.

6. kirbycorpin02

kirbycorpin02 Member

I prefer reading a book than listening to it. There are more distractions if I am just listening to it. I like reading so I can focus on what I am doing. I am imagining myself in a story or article I am reading. I can never never forget the things I have read and I can apply it on my daily basis. Being an old school is much fun than today's technology.

7. Darenquils

Darenquils New Member

Assuming it's a book I bought for myself then, I would enjoy reading it by myself, I can spend the whole day reading it. For me, one of the advantages of reading is I can pause for a while to process and savor every valuable information I got. There's a joy in reading your favorite books that you can't find when listening only to someone else. Listening can be beneficial whenever you feel like resting your eyes and just be an auditory learner. But in the end, it all depends on how we would like it done for our own convenience.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. saadia

saadia New Member

I believe reading have a diffrent taste than listening to audio books. while reading you can feel every single word and emotion, it feels like you have a direct relation with the author, reading makes you feel the power of each word and each letter. audio books are good too if you are busy with something but still want to read the book, or if you are that kind who get bored while holding books. yet holdding a real book and set time for yourself to read is a completly diffrent kind of joy.

9. git531

git531 Member

I prefer reading a book than to listening a book. I don't like listening to an audiobook because i get distracted easily during listening but when i am reading a book i am able to keep/hold my concentration on the book. I believe it happens because i am accustomed to reading a book than listening to an audiobook.

10. memez4savages

memez4savages New Member

Defenitely reading. You will remember the info better that way and on top of that you can also grow your own mind by doing it. If you listen to an audiobook you will get distracted or maybe even annoyed by the voice of the reader. So in my opinion it is best to read a book.

11. cozhart

cozhart New Member

It depends on the medium. Reading hardcopy books is so much fun and it really makes you feel that "reading" vibe. If you could not afford to do that then e-books it is and now that's something that I don't really like. I used to read ebooks often and that kind of gave me astigmatism. So I don't read books now...

Therefore, I prefer to read hardcopy books and listen to online books.

12. Fernandorom890

Fernandorom890 New Member

i prefer to read a book because I cannot concentrate when someone try to explain me something, that is my same problem with the school haha

13. Peachywriter

Peachywriter New Member

I personally prefer reading the book because it forces me to focus on the text, however, listening to the book allows me to get other things done such as laundry while having the ability go through the book. A sort of "two bird in one stone" kind of way. I like doing both.

14. Mia09

Mia09 Member

I love to read books. its fun reading books it keeps imagination running.

15. mindpixel

mindpixel New Member

I prefer to read rather than listen; growing up in the internet age, I've done a heck of a lot of reading JUST to see someone's point or information one is trying to convey. If I'm listening to a lecture, my attention drifts off elsewhere... Whereas, when reading, my attention is 99% focused on the content before me.

16. ohevit

ohevit Member

Even though I am already a senior citizen, I still prefer reading a book instead of listening to it. By it, you can meet words which can come alive not only to your eyes but also to your mind. One writer says that reading is a meeting of brilliant minds - the mind of the writer and the mind of the reader. As you see the words, your mind is focused on the imagined scenes. Hence, imagination takes place in reading, and that makes the mind concentrate on a particular thing, thereby making it operate actively. Hence, reading is better. Distractions can be warded off and better understanding is achieved.

17. emax2000

emax2000 Member

I would prefer to read than listen to a book.

18. Tasheika

Tasheika Member

I prefer to read a book, this helps me to understand the problem and/or imagine the plot.

19. abby002

abby002 New Member

There are different types of people: visual, auditory and kenesthetic. I preferred reading books than listening to it because I am a visual person. I want to see so I can understand. Whenever I read a book there is always a lesson to a story, sometimes we connect it to ourselves. Reading a book is a good habit because it teaches us how to understand and speak in english fluently. Reading a book enhanced my imagination and ability.

20. rashid76

rashid76 New Member

Definitely, I prefer to read rather than listen to an audiobook. It takes much less time and is more convenient.

21. rextrip

rextrip Member

As for me I will rather prefer reading books to listening to it.

When I'm reading a book, I have total and complete control. If my attention wanders for a minute, I can turn back to the book and the words are right there where I left them. I can read a part over and over and over without anything more than my eyes and brain. If something sounds familiar and I think it's important to the plot, I can easily flip back and look for it, seeing everything at once. When listening to a book, it doesn't stop instantly for me when I want it to. If I have to reread something, I have to press a certain button very carefully or I'll screw everything up and get lost. If I go back to look through the book but I have no idea what I'm looking for, I end up listening to the whole thing again.

22. CherryMae1821

CherryMae1821 New Member

Listening to a book is really a must try and interesting things to do. But reading books are highly appreciated more than an instant play button. Reading books will help you a lot. While you were reading you can easily remember the words you saw. You will easily familiarize with the spelling of words you read. The importance of the punctuation, sign and symbol has also been very important. And for me when I read the books I really felt the connection between me and the author.

23. mauldind

mauldind New Member

I would prefer to read a book.

24. jhemjeff

jhemjeff New Member

For me it depends on the topic. there are topics that i prefer reading like suspense thriller or horror. through reading and some visuals it keeps wanted to read more. on the other hand if the topic is more on comedy or story telling i prefer listening to it because for me the tone used by the speaker makes it more convincing and real.

25. yetyet

yetyet Member

Books always open and activates my imagination. It makes me feel that everything is just in my hand like traveling around the world and a lot more. So I always prefer reading books than listening to it. My sense of hearing is not in good condition after all, not even my sight but thanks to technology I can clearly see and read all the context to the book that I read. Many thinks that listening to an audio book is much more convenient than reading, but for me it's just a matter of satisfaction. You may call me so traditional but it's my convenience after all. I'm not against with the audio book but I just prefer on reading it and that makes me happy.

26. Natasha20

Natasha20 New Member

Listening to books is not as fascinating as reading books. When you listen to books, you are not likely to derive much pleasure.

27. moschab

moschab New Member

I'd rather read a book than listen. i love reading books. you care more because you read and it seems like a lot of your imagination, as if you were in the story.

28. Orochimagaara

Orochimagaara New Member

Read off course, for me, listening a book is easier to distract or even fall a sleep ehehe
    If i read, is allways a trip :D

29. Lasheen123

Lasheen123 Member

Reading for sure, it helps get my mind calm and peaceful, however sometimes listening could be more convenient, but for me I prefer reading.

30. Msalbq7

Msalbq7 New Member

Me myself, I still enjoy getting in a nice comfy chair in a nice cozy room with a nice glass of lemonade
    and a good book. I like the feel of the pages and I like being able to mark my pages anyway I like.
    Audio has its convenience when I am traveling or driving. I see it as a substitute when I can't get to
    my favorite books .