Would you prefer to read or listen to a book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frenchkissed2013, May 11, 2015.

1. lks311

lks311 New Member

I like to listen to books because I like to get things done while I consume a book, I'm really bad at sitting still!

2. somahomejobs

somahomejobs New Member

3. vanky

vanky New Member

Rich Dad Poor Dad!!

4. mbrnrd

mbrnrd Member

I prefer reading but..... if Im doing other things or I can't sleep, I prefer audiobooks. Its so relaxing.

5. RyanIsTrying

RyanIsTrying New Member

As a child in school I hated listening to the audio book while we read it in class because I found myself always two pages ahead of it and having to slow down because of it, but as I've grown up I've come to like hearing the audio book while reading. The reader always portrays such well emotion it's much easier visualizing .

6. BNicely

BNicely New Member

When I was young I used to have read-along books. They were fairy-tale and fable stories that had the books with pictures and words and the 45 record to go with it. I find I still enjoy watching foreign films on TV and reading the captions at the bottom. So for your answer I would say I enjoy either and sometimes it would be nice to have the audio with the words in front of me as well.

7. clairebalubal

clairebalubal Member

I prefer reading than listening. In listening, emotions of the character will be based on the emotions of the person reading it, while when you read it by yourself, you can play with the emotions of the characters. Additionally, you can read at your own pace. If you were not able to understand what you have read, you can just repeatedly read it until you can fully understand it.

8. subhan456f

subhan456f Member

i would prefer both reading and watching because both increase our knowledge and they both will be very practiseable

9. BettyLaFea

BettyLaFea New Member

I have done both, but I find reading the book first can sometimes kill the movie. Like with Hunger Games & the changes to Peeta at the end of book 1 or 2, which were ignored. I’d rather watch the movie first then the book can pad it out and fill in all of the blanks. If I read the book first it often ruins the movie for me as it’s never as good as the book and things are never how I imagine them etc. I’m soooooo critical of films if I’ve read the book first!!

10. priyapriya

priyapriya New Member

I love to read books but hardly get time to read them these days. So, I thought that I would try listening to books as I drive or do other housework like cooking or cleaning. However, I found that it was hard for me to concentrate on the books' content as I worked and ended up not consuming much of the content.

Although it's more convenient to listen, I think I prefer reading books over listening.

11. Ruelene18

Ruelene18 Member

I don't know about most, but I can't listen to books being read to me. I read about three or four times faster than anyone can speak, so that listening to a book becomes terribly frustrating to me.

Also, when I set a book down and pick it back up again, I have to go back a paragraph or two to get back into the story line. I cannot do that with an audio book.

12. suby

suby New Member

I prefer to read a book, as it gives me a sense of touch which adds to the overall experience of reading. I also find it easier to concentrate while reading, as listening sometimes distracts me. Pictures and illustrations can be found only on a book especially comics and without these the experience of reading is incomplete. I can also keep up my pace of reading with a book unlike listening to an audio book which goes at the speaker's pace.

13. johnmichaelescalona

johnmichaelescalona New Member

why dont ya'll do both and do the same thing if you could do both, it doesnt matter the important is understand the book and it feels much better.

14. johnmichaelescalona

johnmichaelescalona New Member

I prefer do both just for me, the important is you can understand what the content of the book.

15. Cabinet

Cabinet New Member

I LOVE to read books! I love the way they smell, the way it feels as I turn the pages. I still haven't gotten into reading books online or on a device. There is something about holding a book in my hand that makes me feel real. That being said, I do love a good audio book or book on CD when traveling long distances. Once, on a road trip to Colorado, I listened to the best book, "The Autumn Castle." It was so good that when we arrived at our destination we stayed in the car to finish the chapter we were on. Overall, I do prefer to read a book as it helps jar my imagination.

16. Cabinet

Cabinet New Member

Yes! I am right there with you on the feeling I get from actually turning pages. I must have loved to read in all my lives as there is something very nostalgic about holding a book.

17. leogem123

leogem123 New Member

I preferred to read it. Because it will practice our eyes and mind. The best thing in reading is it will brought you to the story or into what you have read. :) reading is fun it will make you High.

18. Rexway4

Rexway4 Member

I prefer reading an ebook listening to audio version, thou webinar presentation is very good since its make explaination easy for all. Ebook is a good material that can educate us on a particular area of specialization so the meduim which you chose to use it is up to you.

19. czari

czari New Member

I tried many times to get into audiobooks, podfics, and podcasts as I would like to listen to something when I am doing a different task. However I just can't seem to focus enough when I have to listen for long amounts of time particularly narratives which could be considered slow.

20. Kryptonian

Kryptonian Member

Different people have different grasping capabilities,to some reading,to some audio visual and to some,just audio is enough.For me I prefer reading.It is easier this way to form clear pictures in my mind.

21. allivan

allivan New Member

I personally prefer reading. I can read at my own speed and re-read some parts if I missed some details. This would be much harder with an audiobook. Reading also allows me to get a better picture of the whole story.

22. xPrxnce

xPrxnce New Member

I would much rather read a book that listen to it, having the book in your hands and reading it provides much more of an experience, reading it yourself, you are able to imagine what's written in the book, you can enjoy the book, go back and re read some of the things, listening to books doesn't provide the same experience, why listen to someone reading if you can read it yourself

23. archiejay

archiejay New Member

I prefer to read a book because I enjoy it better than listening. In addition, I also read books during my free time. Sometimes, I do this in order for me to get into sleep. As a matter of fact, I learned a lot of things thru reading books of different topics.

24. zionekathleen

zionekathleen New Member

Listening and reading helped me in a lot of different ways. I love the two but I enjoy reading the most. Listening may just pass from your ear for a moment but some of it you can't rewind (except if you have the record) but reading captures almost everything and you can always reread it if you want to. We tend to hear and forget but what we've read will take a lot longer to forget, sometimes it reached us through our heart.

25. Anj1018

Anj1018 Member

I prefer reading a book because nothing beats reading it and imagining all the characters, scenes, and voices of the character. You can play with your imagination while reading a book. I also like to feel the pages of my book while i read.

26. sharnjit

sharnjit New Member

There is no doubt for me I prefer reading books rather than listening to them.

Obviously, these are two whole different stories between reading and listening.

Knowing and understanding a book by listening requires a high level of the recorder and he or she needs to read it without his or her personal affections or opinion about the book or it would lead the listeners to follow his or her view without their own thinking. However, it’s hard to listen to someone’s voice if you feel like it sounds like a robot…

On the other hand, if you read a book, you feel what you see, your understanding about it based on your own ideology and mind and it would not influence by any other person. In addition, you can read some sentences or biographies again if you think it’s beautiful or maybe you can not get it at once. Read it by yourself and understand it step by step that’s how wonderful and awesome to read books. Personly I enjoy these moments every time I read a book. However, if you listen to it, it would be another story…you have to go back and you probably don’t know where you would let it repeat. That’s pretty annoying if you waste a lot of time on this thing.

27. sharnjit

sharnjit New Member

I prefer physically reading (both on my Kindle and physical books).

I retain information more when I physically read. When I listen to audiobooks, I feel as though I need to be doing something else while I’m listening. This causes me to multi-task, but also not retain as much of the book as physically reading. I, personally, can’t just sit back and listen to a book. I’ve even tried to get into podcasts, and unless I’m listening to it in a car, I can’t get into them either.

28. SophyaN

SophyaN New Member

When I read a book, I forget about everything in the world and plunge into another world. Reading reassures me. When I listen to a book I get bored and uninteresting, sometimes it annoys me. Why? I don't know. Perhaps this is due to a long-standing habit.

29. Maxim

Maxim New Member

This is cool, and ordinary books and audio. And this and that perfectly develops. Improves memory and speech.

30. Pajbot

Pajbot New Member

Read. We all have our own reading voice that sounds a certain way in our heads when we read, which we are used to.

When you listen to books that privilege is taken away and someone else's voice is reading out to you instead of your own voice that you prefer - although some people don't mind a different voice.

Also reading means you can understand and take in the text how quickly or slowly you like which you may want to have control over.