Would you rather be rich or healthy?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Natalyatarasenkova, Feb 23, 2013.

1. fossilizedtreesap

fossilizedtreesap New Member

Of course riches can't be enjoyed as much when a person isn't healthy and well. But really, if a person is rich, they can afford to be healthier. People with more money can afford better doctors, organic foods, expensive vitamin supplements, private hospitals and the like. Of course, we should be in a world where the two choices aren't correlated, but as I'm growing up and leaving the protective wing of my parents, I'm discovering that riches are more and more necessary.

Hopefully, when I graduate from law school, I will be in a financial position where I won't need to choose between the two. But at least right now, I have an excuse for my laziness when it comes to exercise-- I can't afford a personal trainer!

2. lordrenly

lordrenly New Member

Being unhealthy is expensive. It's pretty scary to see how much money that you have to spend regularly if you have severe chronic illnesses. I have heard a story of someone who is quite wealthy but have to spend at least $10,000 per month for cancer treatments. That means unless you have a savings of $1-2 million that you set aside, you will eventually go broke. That's only for the treatment of one illness not to mention all of the pains your body has to suffer. Unless I'm Forbes 500 rich, I prefer being poor but healthy.

3. scriptedfash

scriptedfash New Member

I would rather be healthy because your health IS your wealth.

4. YahyaJ_727

YahyaJ_727 New Member

You could have all the money on the world, but think about it. When you're sick or have some kind of terminal illness, are you really thinking about money? Does it even cross your mind? I'd much rather live a normal healthy life. Rich doesn't necessarily mean happy.

5. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams New Member

I'd very much prefer to be healthy than rich. Money isn't going to do you any good if you have some incurable disease that severely limits your freedom of movement or severely affects your mind. However, if you're healthy, you can have plenty of fun for very little money, assuming you have enough money to provide yourself with the necessities of life.
    You can even travel the world for very little money using online communities of people who host travelers in their homes for free, and I've also seen websites where people offer room + board + maybe a little money in exchange of doing some little jobs, like painting their fence, cutting their grass, or other stuff like that. All you need is the will to do it and a passport.

6. SamWood

SamWood New Member

If you don't have your health, money can't buy it. Certainly wealth can make it easier to stay healthy but if you're afflicted with certain diseases, there's only a limited amount money can do. Plus you can always work to acquire more money if that's what you want but if you don't have your health, there's no way to get it, even with all the riches in the world.

7. hectormartinez16

hectormartinez16 New Member

I would rather be rich than healthy but that depends on the situation that you are living. Let's say if get sick, i will have enough money to cover the treatment depending the type of illness I’m going to be fighting for. A healthy person can do a lot of thing but will think that something is missing. Money is very important in our life, Money runs the world.

8. cynicalviper

cynicalviper New Member

It depends on the extremes of being Healthy or being rich but personally I would ideally be really healthy instead of rich. My reasons touch on what everyone else said whats the point of being super rich if you can't enjoy it because your well being is terrible and you happen to be in poor health? In my mind being rich is nice and all but I rather be functioning and able to do what I really want to do even if its just walking or even drinking with friends and laughing without being hindered too much by physical ailments.

9. Pragya Singhal

Pragya Singhal New Member

It is very old saying health is wealth. According to me it is absolutely true reason being if person is healthy one can always earn money by doing different job and alll...........but if health is not well firstly, one can not work upyo the fullest. Secondly, a lot of money get wasted on medicines, doctor .

10. slaylynn

slaylynn New Member

Without one's health, money would be less enjoyable but perhaps more necessary to deal with the bills incurred by being ill. I would rather be healthy than rich. Good health usually cannot be bought. There are many pathologies that have no known cure. And once health begins to fail, reversing it is often difficult. Wealth might be nice, but good health is better, in my opinion.

11. criz88

criz88 New Member

I would choose to be healthy than to be rich. If I'm rich but not healthy how can I fully enjoy my wealth? Health is wealth! So come on, take good care of your health, prioritize and enjoy life to the fullest! :) ;)

12. katharsis

katharsis New Member

I agree with the previous post. Even if you are the richest man in the world, if you have a sickness which is not curable, or which is really affecting your life standards, what use does money have? Trying to enjoy richness while suffering physically would be awful. But being broke while suffering physically would be much worse :laugh: . I prefer a healthy body and mind over money undoubtedly if I have to choose, but hey, can get both health and wealth please?

13. darehare

darehare New Member

If health encompasses mental and emotional health, health is the better choice for me. However, sometimes health can be greatly compromised because of lack of access to wealth. Even if I don't have wealth myself, if I live in an area that has the resources for healthy food, great water, accessible outdoor activities, and safe streets, it makes it more likely that I could achieve better health with less personal wealth. So I guess, assuming the amount is exactly the same, I would prefer to be of lesser wealth in a wealthier area rather than of the highest wealth in an non-wealthy area due to access to resources. My choice would also depend on what baseline of health or wealth I was being asked to choose between.

14. samdark

samdark New Member

I rather be healthy, I mean yeah life is short and we have to make the best of it but at the same time... If there is such thing as an Eternal after life, then I rather be happy and healthy in this present life for as long that I am alive.

15. cyber.seva

cyber.seva New Member

Health before wealth is a better choice for me. Money comes and goes but you only have one body; I would never wan't to win a massive chunk of money just to decline in health shortly thereafter. Speaking of which I am currently taking a physical education class (as required for my degree) and the required reading material is very enlightening. Everyone is different along with their different needs; when one fulfils their needs and wants they have reached a state of balance that is unlike their previous experiences.

16. Sarah T

Sarah T New Member

This is a truly interesting, and extremely honest answer. I love your last line - your heart is completely in the right place, and as I said before, the honesty in your answer was compelling. :) Bravo.

17. steph7h

steph7h New Member

I would rather be healthy! Being rich will not necessarily make you happy, but being sick will definitely make it harder to be happy. There's a better chance of being happy if you are healthy than if you are rich. Some people spend so much time at their jobs trying to be rich, but they're grabbing fast food on the way home for them and their families because they don't have time for anything better, which makes it harder to be healthy. I'd rather have less money and stay at home to cook a meal than be so busy making money I didn't have time for a meal that will strengthen me, not tear my body apart. Not that I don't enjoy a McChicken from McDonald's on occasion, but overall, too much fast food will not be a good thing!

18. musanna akanda

musanna akanda New Member

If you rich can you buy your health with that money?

19. micalbin

micalbin New Member

It sounds like such an easy question to answer. I would love to be healthy! I'd definitely rather be healthy. My mind wants to grab at things like "If I had more money, I can buy healthy food" or "If I had more money, I could live a more free life and actually enjoy the time I have". However, I have to admit that I'd rather spend more time on earth with the people I care about than live in luxury where I might forget myself and turn greedy. Anyway, it is best not to think about where you wish you were and rather to be happy with what you have (I need to listen to my own advice here...) and I don't think money has ever made me happy, just more worried about how to spend it right.

20. beefgui

beefgui New Member

I would rather be healthy. Money can get you proper doctors, but I am assuming in this case money can only help you so far. I love being the healthy individual I am and putting money over that is silly, in my honest opinion.

21. Adrienne Edwards

Adrienne Edwards New Member

I really do not understand this question. Without good health, eventually there will be no life for you. Now, if there is no life for you, I really do not see how you will benefit from riches. Money....... You can't take it with you when life is over.

22. Sheilina

Sheilina New Member

I would definitely rather health. Money can always be gain but life is only 1 its better to enjoy it than riches.

23. Sheilina

Sheilina New Member

Do you think you can pay to be healthy? Well, many doctors would have been able to save many people longtime ago. Money is made if you work hard and smart and you own your business you should be more than well to enjoy life but if you sick how will you enjoy the riches you have?

24. chinedu

chinedu New Member

FOR me i will say riches because when you have money you hardly sick

25. katherinehawkins

katherinehawkins New Member

І wоuld rаthеr bе hеаlthу thаn rісh bесаusе hеаlth іs rеаllу thе mоst іmроrtаnt. Wіthоut gооd hеаlth, уоu саn't еnјоу аnуthіng! Аnуоnе whо hаs suffеrеd еnоugh bесаusе оf а hеаlth рrоblеm wіll аgrее thаt hеаlth іs mоrе іmроrtаnt. Аsіdе frоm thаt, rісh mеаns dіffеrеnt thіngs tо dіffеrеnt реорlе.

Јust уеstеrdау, І асtuаllу Gооglеd whаt іnсоmе lеvеl іs соnsіdеrеd rісh (fоr thе Unіtеd Ѕtаtеs аs thаt's whеrе І lіvе). А studу fоund thаt thе hіghеr уоur іnсоmе, thе grеаtеr іnсоmе lеvеl уоu реrсеіvеd аs rісh. Fоr ехаmрlе, sоmеоnе wіth а 50k аnnuаl іnсоmе wоuld vіеw 120k аs rісh, but аnоthеr wіth 100k уеаrlу іnсоmе thоught rісh wаs 350k.

Аs а сhіld, І асtuаllу thоught І wаs rісh. Іt wаs оnlу аrоund mіddlе sсhооl аgе І rеаlіzеd І wаsn't (bу sосіеtу's stаndаrds). І thіnk bеіng rісh mау bе mоrе оf а mіndsеt thаn а fіхеd fіnаnсіаl vаluе.

26. E.Mil

E.Mil New Member

I would rather be healthy than rich if I had to make a choice. The reason is what good will money be to me if I'm not alive or in a healthy condition to enjoy it. Although it would be so nice to have both.

27. trueknoledge

trueknoledge New Member

I would rather be healthy than rich. Me, as a person, rate being happy as my number one goal in life. Being rich does not necessarily make a person happy and healthy is not something wealth can buy. Being healthy can prevent something before it occurs while when it comes to medicine, there are things even medicine can not cure.

28. EBOEBEL

EBOEBEL New Member

I would rather be healthy. Hard choice when I have huge financial problems right now though.

29. KramJR

KramJR New Member

Healthy people for me are the richest and wealthiest people in the world. The saying is true, "HEALTH IS WEALTH!"

But the thing is, "health" has many aspects in its own right. Physical Health is just one thing; Emotional, spiritual, mental and social health are all to be considered to make one healthy human being.

Money and the physical body is of no use if you live alone in an island with no one to socialize and share your life with. Emotional intelligence and social astuteness is useful especially in life's dealings because we always have to deal with people. But what use is that if you're bed-ridden and dying earlier than expected because of your poor physical health condition caused by your own negligence?

HARMONY.. all these things should be harmonious. But you cannot deny the fact that money is extremely important, and it is the world's medium of exchange. Almost anything in life can be bought by money. And if you're wise you can use that money to things that can help you become healthier.

As for me, being at twenty-four years of age and still quite healthy, I'd choose to be rich and use my riches to maintain a good health overall.

30. cloue

cloue New Member

I would be both. The two options should go along together. Anyone who is not healthy is not rich and vise versa. As they say health is wealth!