Writing Fears

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by Leenie Pat, May 25, 2017.

1. Leenie Pat

Leenie Pat New Member

When I was younger I'd write short stories, poems, plays etc. but I never got around to writing a book which is my biggest aspiration in life. This has always been my biggest dream so what is stopping me? It's not that I don't have ideas or that I physically can't write. In fact, the thought of not writing gives me anxiety.

It wasn't until I finally sat down and started writing a book that I realized why I never started before. It's scary. What if it's not original? I don't want anyone to think I'm copying them. Will it be good enough? What if, what if, what if...

All of these questions would eat me up inside and would stop me before I even started. I just had to push fear aside and start to write because if I don't do it now then I don't know if I ever will and that's not an option.

I'm learning that yes, it's all been done before but your experiences and perspective will make the story unique. It is alright to be inspired by other works. In fact, reading is probably what made you want to become a writer in the first place. You most likely developed your unique writing style from combining things that resonated with you as a reader. If you are proud of your work then it is good enough! Stop asking questions and just write your book.

These are all things that I have to constantly remind myself and with each word I write, with each chapter I finish, I am closer to being a published author. I already am an author, I just have to believe it... and so do you.

2. patleySmith

patleySmith New Member

As a published author, I know firsthand how frustrating the publishing process can be. For two months, I read through my book every two days, always worried that it would not be good enough for all who had ever read anything I had previously written, those who had been the ones who wanted me to publish in the first place. I found that I just had to take a deep breath and hit the button on my publisher's website that would finally send my book to the printer. Therefore, I want you to know that I believe in you, that you certainly have it in you to press that final button, and the satisfaction that you will get from being a published author will be worth any stressful days and sleepless nights you're going through now.

3. Leenie Pat

Leenie Pat New Member

That is incredibly motivational! I truly appreciate your thoughtful response. I will definitely keep your words in mind when I am struggling. Thank you!

4. 2Mattmattics

2Mattmattics Member

It's quite heartwarming to hear you're pushing through your writer fears. I too aspire to write books. The only book I have successfully written was for a class. I have come up with excuse after excuse for why I stopped writing. I have the skills, but I my biggest fear is how can I support myself writing things I enjoy. I know people get paid to write all kinds of things, but how can I make it as a fiction writer. I haven't found my solution yet, but I probably haven't tried hard enough. My tangent aside what is your book about? I wonder if I can guess the types of books you enjoy by the subject matter.

5. Tahlia

Tahlia New Member

Its a hard business to crack, but once you have your foot in the door it gets easier. Its stressful knowing you have deadlines to meet but if you have a good day to day plan set out its easier.

6. KerryLew

KerryLew New Member

That was inspiring to read and it resonates with me. My interest and love for writing absolutely came from reading great books. I struggled with just about all the fears you mentioned. I have come to realize though, that even if I'm telling a story that has been told before, I have my own voice and it will come through in my writing. So regardless of the similarity in concept, ultimately my creativity and how I express it is mine and that alone will make my story unique. Thank you for the motivation, I hope you keep pushing forward.

7. BunBun

BunBun New Member

Writing could be really scary, you got that right. I have been writing for 7 years now and I still think I am incompetent. I started writing for academic purposes so I didn't have the passion in me before, but it's different now. I know how you feel, I have a lot of pieces waiting to be released to the world and feed the hungry minds of readers, but I am still scared. My works have been rejected for so many times and I sometimes I think of quitting, but writing pulls me back. Writing itself keeps on reminding me that it is an art of creating new worlds. I want to keep on creating new worlds for new people, new adventures, and even a new me. For me, writing would always be scary. It's actually comforting to know that there are people like me who are scared of writing too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

8. stingray306

stingray306 New Member

This is something all artists deal with at some point... musicians, painters, actors, writers... and it's rough! It's the fear of not reaching your full potential. It's the fear of not being good enough. But what all successful artists don't tell you is that sometimes it does take some failures to get to that point of success. And if you don't try, you'll never learn! I think to get over that fear, you just have to go for it, write SOMETHING every day, and don't worry about it being perfect. Just write, and you can go back to edit it later. You'll start to learn where your strengths and weaknesses are.

9. sspi

sspi New Member

I think being a writer is definitely not an easy task! Even writing an article is difficult and demanding, because you need to be original and make sure that there is nothing copied from anywhere on the web. Writing a book is a whole lot more demanding and scary, so definitely there are going to be many fears involved, just as you mentioned. I think one needs to be really confident and focus on the writing, not on the fears. There are most likely going to be many rewrites and lots of deleting and starting anew. But, if you keep strong you will do it! Just be persistent and work on your self-confidence. It will also help to have a good plot or plan to help you along, especially when ideas start to fall short or get all tangled up! Good luck to all writers or writers-to-be!

10. Blisscom

Blisscom New Member

If anyone has fears or difficulties getting their work published, posting your novel on Steemit is a pretty popular way to monetize both amateur and professional fiction these days.

Also, Amazon Kindle.

11. Adtoucr

Adtoucr New Member

A friend once asked, "dude, what's your greatest fear in life?". I mused a few seconds and replied, "not to be successful in life". He nodded slowly and I traced along, gradually making sense of my rather cursory response. It dawned on me that we all have somewhat similar concept of fear of things not working out and the struggles of living in the reality of failed attempts fueled by other people's opinion but in reality, we don't seem to realize that failure isn't an end but a bend on the path to success. We live in a world where people are caged in about the true reflection of who they really are and as such live their lives based on people's approval. The greatest enemy of any man on an arduous journey to success is nothing but the man himself -how shallow or deep he is has a marked effect on his reflective capabilities which ultimately influences his decisions. I have taken time to study many successful people who are greatly celebrated today and what I have come to realize is that many love their glory but fail to relate with their story which is often about a pitiable beginning when they were nothing. To overcome fear of anything at all, you must be consistent at what you do. A saying goes thus: practice makes perfect: one missing link to this catchphrase is that being perfect makes confidence and confidence makes excellence which thrills the audience and with the audience

12. joyceolindo

joyceolindo New Member

Now, I am on my 3rd level in college with a course that includes a lot of writing. Fear is always with us and it never left. Teachers and professors are not enough that's why you need to learn by yourself. We are all failure but the complete failure is the one who left and didn't continue the journey. Now, I am still improving my writing skills but not mostly in English because it is not my mother tongue. I hope all the aspiring writers shine in different ways.

13. arkainejae23

arkainejae23 New Member

Every one of us have fears. Every aspects in life have fears. You may have fear of not making content for the next episode of your book but how about the next? It depends on how we handle such fears. Will we let ourselves be eaten by our fears or we will fight and defend for ourselves?

14. JAnnBowers

JAnnBowers New Member

We all have our own fears and self-doubt when we start out. I still do and I have been writing and sharing my poetry for 12 years and there are still times I question myself when I do write. Sometimes I feel that I am just repeating the same poems over and over especially if I am battling a bout of depression. My poetry really reflects my life and the events I have encountered and sometimes that makes these events fresh and solid in my minds for days afterward. Fear is a natural born habit and so is self-doubt, we wouldn't be human if we were born in perfection. I always remind myself that every day and every day I put pen and paper together or fingertips to keyboard and write something.

15. hgenoso

hgenoso Member

I think writing from fears is a great way to exert some negative feeling from you because you personally knows what that thing you are afraid of. You know how it is and what it makes you feel and certainly its when you find adjectives to explain that fear and if ri writtenght it would certainly give A chilling experience to the reader as long as it is conveyed right.