XenForo

Discussion in 'Website Management & Blogging' started by FlashGear, Dec 6, 2010.

1. FlashGear

FlashGear New Member

What made you choose this forum software for PostLoop then? testing purposes? this is the first time i've been on a forum using the software, and it's pretty sweet.

2. Ryan

Ryan Guest

First, I wanted to go with commercial software...That left me with vB, IPB, or XF (the 3 best options right now imo).

XenForo is very modern and very lightweight. It's lacking a lot of the features that vB and IPB have, no doubt about it. But for the purposes of Postloop, I didn't need a lot of features. I'm not trying to build a heavyweight community out of these forums - just a quick and easy way to get support, make announcements, and discuss with other Postloop users. XenForo does everything that I need it to do, and since it doesn't have all of the bloat that vB and IPB do, I went with it.

I don't think it's the ideal solution for most forums, because most forums will need more features than what XF offers...but if your forums don't need a whole lot of features or addons/mods, then XF might be just right.

3. spork985

spork985 New Member

It's definitely unique, I'll give it that much. There are a few things I don't like but I agree, it's very lightweight.

4. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 New Member

Given the major paid forum software, I'd have to say that XF was the best choice.

vBulletin is on the way down, and will never be able to recover itself back to the point where it initially stood before the vB4 fiasco
    IPB is good, but their staff kill the software and the community is far from great.
    XF is new(er), much more lightweight, but so much better than either of the other two.

2 people like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Interesting comment...I think the IPB staff are actually far better than vB and XF.

2 people like this.
  6. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 New Member

I have my own 'free forum' support community hosted by them , mainly to keep outages notified, etc, and I've had two separate experiences with setups:

First time, all went well, except they kept a ticket on hold and unreplied to for 14 hours. A simple "where's your import script" was just ignored. talk about horrible.
    Second time, even worse:
    Staff replied to my ticket telling me to forward DNS to their hosting. Obviously I wasn't going to change my nameservers, so I told them that. I told them I would change the www subdomain, which I did, and it redirected (surprise) within 5 minutes. It took them close to 24 hours to actually reply and get the stuff setup there.

On the flip side, I've always had responses from vBulletin staff within 1-2 hours tops, no matter what time of day. Ticket resolution from them, within 6 hours unless it was a transfer.

Don't even get me started on staff and documentation, that's a whole different thing. IPB and documentation? Not good at all. Staff's attitude? Nope, not gonna happen.

7. timestandstill

timestandstill New Member

I'm going to buy and try XenForo on a new forum once it reaches final. I've been on a few xF forums and it has a few annoying bugs still.

Til then, I remain an IPB fanboy.

8. Max Pen

Max Pen New Member

Its also quite quick and easy to use. Thats what postloop has to be.

9. Silent-Merged

Silent-Merged New Member

I like this software. Very neat. I plan on learning it to design a XenForo forum. I am just designing phpBB software at the moment.

10. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

Actually, I thought XF was horrible when I saw their forum. Now I've seen this one and actually posted and been a user at it, I love it. I think I'm going to buy an XF license once it's released properly. (not beta)

11. Ryan

Ryan Guest

This is pretty much a default installation of XF. There have been 0 modifications/plugins installed...All we've done is tweak the header and color staff posts.

XF provides an awesome end-user experience, that's for sure.

2 people like this.
  12. Numenorean7

Numenorean7 New Member

XenForo rocks. The end.

IMO, it's everything a forum software needs to be. it's lightweight, easy to use and it feels great to browse any site running with it. It's a great piece of software.

My site used to be on vB4... what a mess.

13. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

vB4 is a big mess. xenForo just looks brilliant. And from what I've seen from this forum and another, it runs very fast too.

14. dslegends

dslegends New Member

XF does look great and i do like it as well especially for being new software. im still in the process of thinking about switching to it or sticking with free software not sure yet lol

15. ramymensa

ramymensa Member

I personally started using it out of curiosity. I'm amazed with it, it's small and nice, has all the features I need, since I don't like having too much stuff anyway. Am very pleased with it after 1 month of trying.

16. toxicz0mg

toxicz0mg New Member

I think you made a great choice. Because poostloop is a new form of site (Paid to post site ) and XenForo is a new forum software and its a perfect fit. It was a bit risky but its awesome.