Your first programming language?

Discussion in 'Web Development, Programming & Graphics' started by tysovsky, May 26, 2014.

1. Gaiza

Gaiza New Member

I started with JavaScript and then got bored and dipped a bit into Python. I learned about the Godot game engine eventually and heard that it had a programming language pretty close to python so I started learning that too. I eventually decided that I was branching out too much to get anywhere so now I'm back to JS and just learning libraries to build apps with. There's just too much to learn and not enough time.

2. The first programming language that ticks my interest is Visual Basic. Building my first project with Visual Basic is like a magic. At first, I found it very difficult to use since we have a lot of configurations to make. But other than that, I love coding with Visual Basic. Developed my first project which is a Sales and Inventory System. Later on, I learned about PHP, that was my favorite language. A love the process of implementing websites with PHP.

3. mchll

mchll New Member

On college my first programming language is C++ for basic programming. Nowadays, programming has a lot of variations and a lot of languages. In my experience, not all IT company uses the latest language. Like my previous company they are using Delphi. When I got there I was like, what is this programming language? I have studied for four yeas but doesn't even heard that.

4. JMae372

JMae372 Member

Well considering html is not a programming language, the first programming language that I learned was Javascript using Jcreator. At first, because it's not being taught well at school I find it frustrating and hard to understand, then next I learned C# and that became my favorite programming language. But recently Javascript is being taught to us again thus I now find it easy and I've come to like it in the end.

PS. I know Javascript is the easiest to learn but because of the teacher and I'm not fond of searching in the internet I find it hard to understand.

5. kmurungu

kmurungu New Member

My first one was Q basic back in college and it helped me appreciate programming before I diversified into different languages. It was easy to understand and the concepts were easy to grasp.

I have since moved on to Python as my 'go to' language now because of its versatility

6. patreng

patreng New Member

My first programming language was C++, it was introduced to me at my school and it's quite interesting

7. tops3cretjd123

tops3cretjd123 New Member

My fist programming was HTML which the title of the subject was web design I really like this programming language. Because it let the artistic way of you in designing your page in the website. I was amazed in this programming language because it sharpens my mind in producing high quality design for my user. This language also the stepping stone for me in learning other language. Later on I learn PHP to make as a back-end of my website so on I Learn other language such AJAX,JAVASCRIPT. and this is because all this things needed in web development and the HTML is the eye opener for me to learn this other language.

8. Georgeliner

Georgeliner Member

Am not skilled about java,HTML but i have heard of to them.

9. goldenraph

goldenraph New Member

I actually have less knowledge when it comes to programming. I remembered that I enrolled in an institute where web design and development is being taught and the first programming language that was brought before me was HTML.

10. spiderplant

spiderplant New Member

The first programming language I ever used was QBasic in the 90s. After that, I learned Java and Lisp, and then moved on to web development.

HTML is not a programming language, as JMae372 said.

11. gabrielapostu

gabrielapostu Member

12. rustypaller

rustypaller Member

Dynamic languages are generally easier for total beginners to learn because they’re flexible and fun. You can quickly build an app from scratch with less lines of code, and there is no hard rule on how to write things to behave in the way you want them to. As dynamic languages are usually very high level languages, you'd spend less time trying to get the details right and more time learning programming concepts, which is another reason dynamically typed languages are popular with beginners who are motivated by being able to build things and see results quickly.

13. rustypaller

rustypaller Member

Dynamic languages are generally easier for total beginners to learn because they’re flexible and fun. You can quickly build an app from scratch with less lines of code, and there is no hard rule on how to write things to behave in the way you want them to. As dynamic languages are usually very high level languages, you'd spend less time trying to get the details right and more time learning programming concepts, which is another reason dynamically typed languages are popular with beginners who are motivated by being able to build things and see results quickly.

14. shaamei

shaamei Member

In terms of learning, the first ever programming I used was Visual Basic during college. But the first programming I used at work is COBOL, one of the oldest programming language. After that, I also have basic knowledge in C++.

I'm still looking forward to learn other language that I could use as a data analyst or data administrator. I think best skills will be MS Excel, Python and SQL. Any suggestion, where should I start?

15. tmcastor

tmcastor New Member

Java was my first programming language. It was something I wanted to learn for a while, so I jumped at the chance of taking the course when I was in college. Even after taking programming logic courses, I don't think I truly understood most programming concepts until I took JavaScript and C#. I'm thinking about moving on to Python next.

16. idking212

idking212 Member

Well my first was python, that is an easy language and very useful...

17. Michael1478

Michael1478 New Member

I started from Python. Some say it is one of the easiest languages to learn. And I must agree. Coding in python is really nice, easy and simple, most of the syntax is understandable and it definitely helps when learning other programming languages.

18. Diethermarcelo

Diethermarcelo New Member

I would say HTML and CSS if they're programming languages but they are not. My first programming language and what I would also recommend to newbies is Java. Java is a high level programming languages and very simple since java was designed to be easy to use, compile and learn than any other languages. Don't start with the C Language. Some people will recommend the hardest language which is the C and will tell you that if you can master the hardest language then you can master any other languages. This is really not true, it's like recommending someone that for them to be able to lift 20 lbs they have to start lifting 100 lbs.

19. Mihare

Mihare New Member

A lot of these replies says their first programming language is Java. It was the same for me, but not because it was also what my school taught me. It was because I wanted to make a mod for Minecraft. That time I didn't even know that I was coding with Java, all I know was I'm making a Minecraft mod.

20. Treveez

Treveez Member

First I say A lot of people say Python and Ruby are very easy. True, Ruby and Python have simpler syntax. This is why people recommend beginners to start with these languages. ... But if your goal is to build meaningful web and mobile apps, then JavaScript should beyour first and last choice as your first programming language.

21. mindpixel

mindpixel New Member

Well, let's see... I can recall writing small (less than 20 line) programs in DOS batch language, Qbasic, TRS-80 basic... But my first "formal" training was, like many people, Java in a computer science course. I don't hold any regrets whatsoever - because my motto is: "If you know Java, you can learn anything!"

22. fajaybar

fajaybar New Member

C# , i like programming but i am too clamsy to not to do my homeworks and practices

23. ronlex

ronlex New Member

I started with python then went to c++ , Python was better because it is easy and it takes few codes to write similar program in c++ .although c++ is more effective and widely used and am currently doing java as my final programming language then I stop .

24. Ndeeri

Ndeeri New Member

My first programming language was the famous C programming language. Many programmers say its the best to start with and I agree totally with them.With this language , you get to be introduced to the world of programming as a professional.Even if you decide not to continue with programming as a career, the language gives you a skill on how to tackle a real life problem.

25. glamgawdess

glamgawdess New Member

The first programming language I learnt when i started my master of Information Science program was JAVA. It seemed difficult at first because i studied education for my first degree and the concept of JAVA was totally new to me. I got used to it and passed my course but i don't think I'd like to go further with studying JAVA. Now I'm doing mySQL in my second semester, it seems much simpler, I like it better.

26. Delta37

Delta37 New Member

My first programming language was BASIC. And no, I'm not talking about Visual Basic. Instead it was Commodore 64 BASIC V2 and I think the year was 1984. I didn't really make that complicated programs with it, but the ones I best remember are simple "choose your own adventure" games, it seemed everybody wanted to make one at the time. For graphics programming, I also liked Turtle Graphics on the C64.

27. Ja3far7asan

Ja3far7asan New Member

I started with JAVA, It was hard to me to understand it firstly, because I was new to the programming world, but step by step I became better on it, and later on I built a couple of programs using JAVA.
    So, I think the practice is the key to become a good programmer.

28. yuelepsilon

yuelepsilon New Member

My first programming language was html and css. It was back then when we were taught about basic computer navigation and internet. It's for us to have a simple and basic understanding on the internet. Nothing complex compared to how it is on a formal computer science related degree but at good start as something unfamiliar to you will always be hard.

29. srki93

srki93 Member

My first language was turbo C 3.0, a bit old language.

30. mohit26

mohit26 New Member

My first programming language was C++.I had it in my school as an elective and since I always wanted to learn programming,I chose it.It wasn't an easy language to start with as beginner because it's an old language with a lot of difficult to understand concepts.But I was determined to master it so I studied in class as well as online and now years later I am thankful that I started with C++ because it laid a strong foundation for me to build up on.